What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across Mark audio drivers when I was researching small SET amps which led to single driver speakers. Compared to other full range speakers the efficiency of the speaker is lower. I have a few different SS amps that I could use with the driver, but I am curious about tube amps since I have not heard one to compare it to a SS amp. I have a pretty large room 20' x 20' which is open to a 10' x 17' dining room, 11' x 12' loft area, and 9' x 13' additional room with ceiling that start at 12' and goes to 24' high. How would a Pensil 12 work in this space? I don't listen to real loud SPL. How large of an amp would I need? Tube or SS amp?

Thanks,

Mike

I use a KT88 se amp, 5 watts in triode with Alpair CHR 70.3 and 10.2 speakers. Both can play reasonably loud in my 12X19 foot room! I'm VERY happy with this set-up.

Larry

a range of them:

dual EL70 - Tubelab Simple PP EL84 (12-ish watts pentode) - 400sqft + room

Alpair 7 & 6M- Denon AVR 1610 HT receiver (70-ish "Denon" watts - whatever that really means) 320 sq ft room

Alpair 7.3 & 10.2 - EL34 SE triode & DIY hack-job EL84 PP class A/triode - in bedroom closet, oops, 8x20ft "man-cave'

none of these combinations can't play louder than I care to listen to, but of course for some folks less than a measurable 120dB on peaks is simply not realistic enough - live and let live I say - (except for the cochlear cilia destroyed by sustained listening at above levels , or 20+ years in a commercial woodworking shop, where SPLs can exceed an average 95 dB, with peaks well over 110)

No, but the MA drivers are really going to telegraph the ST70s shortcomings.

dave

It's certainly not without reason that a substantial market for not only replacement clone OPTs, but revised driver boards, etc.for the ST70 long predated Mark's drivers.

Tubelab Simple PP should definitely be on anyone's short list - simple terminal strips allow for quick testing of all 3 operating modes. Not a full kit, per se, so more time is required to collect hardware, iron, etc and fabricate chassis.

My daily drivers are single A7.3 (Pensil) & dual EL70 (Castle micro-towers) - in pentode mode the SPP has all the power I need in moderate sized rooms (320 and well over 400 ft Sq). In a much smaller room (under 200ft) a pair of 2A3 or EL34 SE are more than enough - the room acoustics start becoming far more of a problem before the amps compress/distort objectionably.

For my MA Alpair7.3 pencils, CHR70 double-till and various mFonken cabs I switch between Ladyday 300b monoblks (about 8w/ch) and a FirstWatt J2 (25w/ch). I think the FWJ2 is outstanding and is my favorite unless the recording is too bright/"digital" in which case I prefer the LD monoblocks. I also enjoy my bottlehead 2A3 monoblocks on these speakers at lower levels for a fleshier presentation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.