Running the Scan-Speak 15w8530k00 full-range with no x-over

Just a 1mH coil in line with the 8530. 4.7 mF cap and 8.2ohm resistor and 4.7mF cap in line with the 2905/9500 tweeter. Polarity inverted on tweeter.
I know this is not a full range speaker. I mistakenly posted here first then on Multi-way where I took abuse for the minimalism of the post.

I have a second order crossover ready to go. I will hear it this weekend. It has a friendlier impedance curve for the amp.

Attachments

• firstorderR.jpg
    firstorderR.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
I am thinking about merging Paul Carmody's Carrera woofer x-over with his Amiga DX25 x-over. Probably have to increase the 5ohm resistor. Reason being, I have almost all the required coils and caps in the parts bin. At the moment I am waiting delivery of the woofers.
I also have a 2x4 minidsp to play with.

The 15w/8530k-00s arrived and I stuck them in 0.5 cu.ft cabinets with the LCR network that Paul C uses in his Carrera build. Running full range, they sound extraordinarily smooth and extended.
I have them toed-in to cross just in front of me. I am trying to decide if I need a tweeter?!
My ageing ears are limited to 10khz.
I'm thinking of building the 48" long mltl described earlier, folded and a height of 32"(WAF).
Peter

Mltl

I did build a pair of mltl cabinets and used xt25 tweeters with the 15W woofers.
Picture attached. The crossovers are similar to those used in the ElamXT.
The enclosures are 32” high and work beautifully in my smallish music room.

Attachments

• AC84B713-CCB4-4CE4-A4B8-E13351CD55D1.jpeg
    AC84B713-CCB4-4CE4-A4B8-E13351CD55D1.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 347
This was the basis for my build. Stuffing in the top half only, but that and the density may be room dependent, I use just my ears for evaluation, but in my smallish room they were very impressive and sounded huge. They sold immediately to the first person that heard them.
Peter

Attachments

• 2C7D33BF-7B9D-4A5C-9918-30756FF04573.jpeg
    2C7D33BF-7B9D-4A5C-9918-30756FF04573.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 255
Do you sell most of your DIY speakers? I have quite a few lying around but I can’t part with them. And my friends who don’t already have great speakers don’t understand how DIY speakers could cost so much. The can get decent speakers by Klipsch or Elac for less than I paid for the drivers. Not to mention the crossovers and the effort that goes into the speaker cabinet making.
My 8530/9500 woofer/tweeter combo is fantastic. Never did implement the 2nd order crossover. Tweaked the first order quite a bit since my last post. They sound better in ways than my Sonus Faber Venere 3.0. They can’t fill the room as well but image better and I swear they have deeper bass than the SF towers.

Attachments

• 6A212FEB-AC85-4461-A4C1-FA673D2B4BF5.jpg
    6A212FEB-AC85-4461-A4C1-FA673D2B4BF5.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 50383AC1-4EC1-4DEB-818E-46EF7090A8B2.jpeg
    50383AC1-4EC1-4DEB-818E-46EF7090A8B2.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Yes, I sell most of my diy speakers........eventually.
Cost effectiveness is not the reason to build speakers. It’s fun, especially if you enjoy woodwork and recognizing that all speakers have compromises, it’s fun to delve into those compromises.
Used speakers in good condition can be had pretty cheaply and I’ve had many 40+ year old speakers that I have refurbished that are much more cost effective.
Currently listening to B&W dm14 that cost me $100 and they have, to my ears, the most luscious midrange. Nothing that I have built so far can compare, but I’ll probably keep trying. They need reveneering, so I’ll probably have $150 in them when finished.

The 8530 and 9500 tweeters were purchased quite a few years ago but the four drivers alone would cost me about $1000 Cdn. Today’s cost is about the same as 12 years ago when I got them. Took me ten years to finish that project! Others with cheaper drivers got done in the meantime.
And having a boxful of different high quality inductors and capacitors from Solen has cost a lot over the years. Experimenting on used stuff would likely have been more cost effective and gotten to me to my goal of good DIY sound more quickly and cheaper. Oh well. I could have bought decent new speakers with all I’ve spent on diy. It is fun and educational.
And no one would pay for even the cost of my parts. Oh well. Not giving them away. They are like children!
Now I have some Scanspeak 18w-4531-00 to play with next. Any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Last edited:
Maybe see if pkitt will help you make a version of his Brioso mltl cabinet he designed for 18w/8531, for your 4 ohm drivers. Might be a simple adjustment. Then use whatever tweeter and xo you want.
Found this thread searching about 15W8530K. Just bought a pair, plan to use with morel cat308 or scan 9300. (Have subs for fullrange)
I need a tinnitus speaker! :) I miss my old 18w/8543 poly cones.
Can't use the cleaner, technically better new drivers that have moved away from softer sq of old. Can't handle the clarity unfortunately.

Last edited:
There isn't actually a great deal of technical improvement over the Revelator units in more recent designs. Their motors and cones are still excellent; bit of an issue sometimes at c. 1KHz but not always & easy to sort. I wouldn't necessarily say others are 'clearer', this is to a point about design & implementation, particularly crossover order & frequency. FWIW, try an 8320 ring radiator or the 9300; get a BBC / Harwood dip into the midband response & aim for an overall declining trend.