Fostex ff105wk drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Okey you do not like the drivers but, have you tryed or used them yet? Also there has to be one black sheep in the bunch and I guess it's this one. I would like a list of the pros and cons to this driver daivd if you could give me a quick run down.

We do like the drivers.

We have tried all the (same familiy) drivers mentioned.

I have little doubt the 105 will be good. But for us, the larger 125 is not that much more money, and will give more bass without sacrificing top & mids.

dave

Okey you do not like the drivers but, have you tryed or used them yet? Also there has to be one black sheep in the bunch and I guess it's this one. I would like a list of the pros and cons to this driver daivd if you could give me a quick run down.

What Dave said is that we've tried (and very much like) 3 of 5 of the new FF-WK series, and not having heard the 105 or 225, we'd have no opinion yet.

Any updates? or at least what to expect and what not to expect from this driver.
There is a resonance above 7khz that looks ugly, that would be a discussion point...

Low end looks good, much better Xmax than Fe103en, lower Fs, higher more versatile Qts.
I guess the real question would be how does it compare overall with Fe103en...

Bob Brines had good things to say about the FF225WK. I own it an like it too. I don't doubt the "105" must be good as well. I'm considering the "85" for a future mini-TL project as well. Will be fun to have the two extremes from this line. Like others have alluded to, it might be better to swing on either side to "85" or "125", unless you have a very specific application.

IG

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like the FFxx5wk series in this order: FF85, FF105, FF165, FF125 (all evaluations with treated drivers). I have FF225 but haven't yet put them into a box (and they are really a mid-bass, you need to add a tweeter).

The FF125 has some annoying resonances that treatment ameriolates but you almost always still have some residual issues. The smaller drivers have less problems to start with, as does the FF165 (i haven't listened to it stock), so it is easier to cure those.

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
SOL for full range
FF85Wk for FAST

Listening to FF85WKeN as FAST with RS225-8 right now. They are actually level matched quite well and running Harsch XO at 450Hz.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...n-3-5in-drivers-round-5-a-25.html#post4607607

529527d1454747749-subjective-blind-comparison-2in-3-5in-drivers-round-5-ff85wken-rs225-fast-1.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.