Something a little different: quick-and-easy iPod Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my bass bin inspired horn for my Nokia phone. It's a bit messy as I was planning and cutting as I go. At first I thought it wasn't giving as much gain as I hoped but then I was relying on the back of the phone to seal the first expansion flare. Then I decided to seal it up and wow! It does get pretty loud. not hi-fi quality but the built in speaker isn't the best one there is and the player EQ did help a bit.

Sorry for the pic quality (and no pic of the phone on it) as I was using the phone to take the pictures.

Attachments

• 1st_flare.jpg
    1st_flare.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 2nd3rdflare.jpg
    2nd3rdflare.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 520
  • mouth1.jpg
    mouth1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 521
  • mouth2.jpg
    mouth2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 521
  • mouth3.jpg
    mouth3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 520
  • phonebay.jpg
    phonebay.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 250
HTC Incredible - Audio Horn

Couldn't stand it........spent some time today making one myself. Phone is the Gen 1 HTC Incredible. Took the "DIY Dummy" route and just started cutting cardboard (no measurements, traced the phone to get me started and went from there). Had a blast!

Hot Tip: use a glue gun, tape sucks! :)

Pics here. I found that the sound got even better by facing it in a corner of my desk - enjoy.......

p.s. this represents my first-ever DIY audio project - woohoo!!!

Couldn't stand it........spent some time today making one myself. Phone is the Gen 1 HTC Incredible. Took the "DIY Dummy" route and just started cutting cardboard (no measurements, traced the phone to get me started and went from there). Had a blast!

Hot Tip: use a glue gun, tape sucks! :)

Pics here. I found that the sound got even better by facing it in a corner of my desk - enjoy.......

p.s. this represents my first-ever DIY audio project - woohoo!!!

Not bad for a first time project! :)

it looks like a K-slot ...

Just echo the curve of a K-slot (the magazine scan). Make a bunch and alter the opening on each until you get the best sound...

or just hook the iPhone/iPod thingy to a Tivoli iPAL or Model1 :)

djQUAN : what did you use for material?

Last edited:
My folded horn for I Phone

For Xmas I'm giving my son some desk top TQWP that I made that will go with his GLOW Audio 5 watt SET tube amp he's also getting. So I though for the heck of it I would build a horn speaker for his I Phone as a kind of desk top novelty item for his office or home. Horn came from a Schwinn bugle horn and all other fabrication was from items laying around. The small box is cedar and modified so the I Phone slips into the top and rests on a block that was routed for the bottom speaker and microphone. The white tube butts up to the block and the horn is inserted in the white nylon block that has been routed out. If nothing else It makes a hell of an alarm beside your bed!!! Honkin Good!!!
Fun to build but not built to really enhance the sound, just loud reproduction.

Attachments

• DSC03868.JPG
    DSC03868.JPG
    604.3 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC03867.JPG
    DSC03867.JPG
    359 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC03866.JPG
    DSC03866.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC03865.JPG
    DSC03865.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 423
For Xmas I'm giving my son some desk top TQWP that I made that will go with his GLOW Audio 5 watt SET tube amp he's also getting. So I though for the heck of it I would build a horn speaker for his I Phone as a kind of desk top novelty item for his office or home. Horn came from a Schwinn bugle horn and all other fabrication was from items laying around. The small box is cedar and modified so the I Phone slips into the top and rests on a block that was routed for the bottom speaker and microphone. The white tube butts up to the block and the horn is inserted in the white nylon block that has been routed out. If nothing else It makes a hell of an alarm beside your bed!!! Honkin Good!!!

Sir, if I had a hat, I'd take it off to you. Nice work.

Phone Horn V2 :)

I milled two pieces of 1/4" MDF for the top piece to take the phone and the first expansion flare. The other parts were built up from pieces of 1/8" thick laminate (looks like MDF with printed veneer from leftover ready to assemble furniture)

Works as good as the first version but probably more durable. Any ideas to finish the visible MDF parts? It is kinda 'hairy'.

Attachments

• IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3549.jpg
    IMG_3549.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3546.jpg
    IMG_3546.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3556.jpg
    IMG_3556.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 180
Phone Horn V2 :)
Works as good as the first version but probably more durable. Any ideas to finish the visible MDF parts? It is kinda 'hairy'.

First, NICE WORK! I'd say go for it and use a wood veneer to finish it off. You've obviously got the tools, skills, patience, etc. Why not??? It'll have the finish you can be proud of and result in a piece you'll keep for years.

Would you mind sharing the make/model of your drill/machine press? Looks like something I'd be interested in as I continue to get deeper in my own projects. Thx!

Ten out of ten, best yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.