Frugel-Horn Mk3 Picture Gallery

Bravo on the frogs & flowers. Are the frogs mirror imaged :)

dave

They are. I will try get a picture today...

frugalfrogs - just too darned cute

I think that is going to add to the surprise factor. They are bigger sounding than they look.

jimbro - I dare not show those to my wife.

My ever-patient better half thought I was going over the top with the frogs and the wallpaper... I told her that it was all sourced from her favourite section of our local DIY depot...

Jacques - must sound very nice with the Leak

I have not tried it with the Leak yet (with these cabs). I did try the Leak 20 when I had the drivers running-in in some Voight pipes cabinets I had on hand. I was a bit disappointed as the mid-bass was bloated and boomy. As soon as I switched the drivers back to solid state (NAD 3020a and Arcam Alpha 8r) the boom disappeared. Not too sure why... Might be something to do with the mighty impedance peak at FR :confused:

Last edited:
I have not tried it with the Leak yet (with these cabs). I did try the Leak 20 when I had the drivers running-in in some Voight pipes cabinets I had on hand. I was a bit disappointed as the mid-bass was bloated and boomy. As soon as I switched the drivers back to solid state (NAD 3020a and Arcam Alpha 8r) the boom disappeared. Not too sure why... Might be something to do with the mighty impedance peak at FR :confused:

and lower damping factor vs the SS ?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These have been posted before -- the original prototypes -- but with other drivers, here with TangBand W5-1611/

252981d1322972053-w5-1611sa-w5-1611-fh3.jpg

dave

The room

Dave is correct that there is a huge improvement due to room form and function. In the first set up the 15's were not used, only for the theater that is in that room. I did add a Triad 10 inch in wall sub that I had extra and it filled the lower end perfect down to 20hz, BUT I am MUCH happier with the sound and frequency output in the bedroom withOUT the sub now. Its perfect. Thinking of adding a usb DAC to the passive pre and Decware amp. Anyone want a Triad 10 powered sub..

Jon