Mark Audio CHP70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Being new to the DIY speakers I've chosen to start by building a pair of Pensil P70's, using the Mark Audio CHP70 Gen 2 drivers. These will be used in a home theatre setup accompanying a sub-woofer and a Dali Suite C0.7 centre speaker. Although stereo music will be played through them, their main usage will be TV, linked to a Sony STR-DG520 AV amplifier supplying Dolby Digital sound.

I'm looking for any feedback on the drivers. Reading the notes from Mark Audio these drivers seem more suited to reproducing human voice so my thinking is they will work well in a home theatre setup.

Any ideas and feedback welcome.

The CHP70's are quite rolled off on top. They were designed for a vintage sound, so make sure that is what you want. For your use, you may be happier with the EL70 or CHR70.

Being new to the DIY speakers I've chosen to start by building a pair of Pensil P70's, using the Mark Audio CHP70 Gen 2 drivers. These will be used in a home theatre setup accompanying a sub-woofer and a Dali Suite C0.7 centre speaker. Although stereo music will be played through them, their main usage will be TV, linked to a Sony STR-DG520 AV amplifier supplying Dolby Digital sound.

I'm looking for any feedback on the drivers. Reading the notes from Mark Audio these drivers seem more suited to reproducing human voice so my thinking is they will work well in a home theatre setup.

First - my experience has been after experimenting with HT setups, that you should consider using speakers "cut from the same cloth" - ie. across the entire front row.

As I've described previously, I happen to be using a combination of Alpair7/6M in my 5.1 rig, and with the EQ and bass management functions of recent HT receivers, this size of driver can work very well in moderate sized rooms (340ft^2 in this case).

There's been a lot of chatter about the intentionally shelved high frequencies of the CHP70 - possibly more by folk's who haven't heard them at all, or certainly compared to either the R70 or (CSS) EL70. Among that group of drivers, I happen to have a preference, but would be surprised if other listeners didn't differ on the subject. Can anyone who's played this game for any length of time remember another speaker manufacturer who has gone out of his way to solicit customer's feedback and build drivers to meet the demand? To have that effort (even unintentionally) subverted by perceived denigration of forum talking heads would be very short sighted and counterproductive.

Back to the system question, much of my music listening is with lower powered tube amplifiers that might be considered "warm and fuzzy" compared to a SS HT receiver which will include substantial DSP if not class D output stages as well. The CHPs might well have excellent synergy with these types of electronics - if still a bit soft on the top end, well the tone controls / EQ exist for a reason, and with all the DSP going on in a HT processor, wouldn't it be disingenuous to proclaim aversion to that?.

Pensil is a very nice sounding box and a very simple build if you don't get carried away with sliding dovetail interlocked swiss cheese holey bracing - a few spars of solid hardwood or chunks of broom-stick handle can work just fine.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Note that Mark posted in that thread that the CHP is very popular, however other users are saying they aren't very impressed.

That last bit has to be taken in context. Mark has set a very high bar for price/performance. Comparison to what came before is one thing, evaluating stand-alone against other makes a different thing.

Bernie should be bringing back the home audition kit with the new CHP this WE. I'd be pleased if you could take it home and form your own impressions in your own system

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
May i ask: what do you mean with "rolled off" and "intentionally shelved"?

FR curve from driver brocure:

You can see that the responses rises about 5dB to 5kHz from mid levels and then shelves down 10 dB before having a nice 15k roll-off. (the rise at the bottom end is very helpful when dealing with baffle step)

dave

Attachments

• CHP702-FR.gif
    CHP702-FR.gif
    75.4 KB · Views: 640
That last bit has to be taken in context. Mark has set a very high bar for price/performance. Comparison to what came before is one thing, evaluating stand-alone against other makes a different thing.

Bernie should be bringing back the home audition kit with the new CHP this WE. I'd be pleased if you could take it home and form your own impressions in your own system

dave

Yes, they do likely represent good value and performance. I was just summarizing the thread.

I'd love to take a stab at listening to them. I've been working in Nanaimo so hopefully my work will wrap up soon and I can get back to hifi ;)

Thanks for the feedback on the here. As much as I'd love to use the CHP70 I think it probably isn't right for my needs and am going to look in to the R70 and the EL70.

DIY audio resources in the UK are hard to come by so forums like this and personal feedback come in very useful when planning any project.

Waves73 wrote
DIY audio resources in the UK are hard to come by so forums like this and personal feedback come in very useful when planning any project.

Well you also join Audio-Talk. This is mainly UK based guys and is run by Nick Gorham. I post most, if not all my speaker builds here.

audio-talk :: Index

Personally I really like the sound of the CHP70. It has a very natural sound and very easy to listen to. If your anywhere near Rossendale, Lancs your welcome to pop over and listen to a pair in the FH3.

Thanks for advice. I'll have a good look through the posts. Being new on here I'm still finding my feet.

I have friends in near Rossendale so know the area. I'll keep in contact and pick your brains regarding my speaker project if that's ok. Lots of questions, especially regard sourcing drivers in this country.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
[
Personally I really like the sound of the CHP70. It has a very natural sound and very easy to listen to.

Colin, we are talking about CHP70 gen 2 which is a different beast than the CHP70 you are used to. I'm quite eager to find what you have to say when you actually get your hands on these new drivers.

I've not seen/heard the original yet. Zia has both CHP (original) & EL70, perhaps he will comment.

dave

Dave,

Thanks for inviting me to comment. I've been listening to both of the drivers in my FH Mk3, and love them both, but would say that the EL70 has a slight edge.

CHP-70 gen1 is a very nice sounding driver - very natural and neutral sounding, top is nice (this was not "sheved" IIRC), decent bass. Handled a variety of genres nicely. Vocal reproduction is very good, drums sound big and weighty, bass is tight but I felt just a tad dry/stiff.

The EL-70 is all of the above, but better. I feel bass is more supple (and a bit more weighty), not as dry as the CHP-70, top has a bit more air and extension, better 3D, better separation. I loved my FH MK3s with the CHP-70 gen-1, I love them even more with the EL-70 - simply superb. My brother is listening now - he also feels EL-70 is better.

-Zia

That is a very interesting comparison Zia.

I had been led to believe there was no technical differences between the EL70 and CHP70 gen1 drivers other than the change in colour of the paper cones. Clearly there must be some other changes in the specs.

Dave,

I take your point which I clearly missed form earlier postings.

I don't know when I'll get my hands on a pair the gen2 drivers. All my spare monies are presently tied up in my Edingdale speakers where I have just had to order some #6 woofers from CSS. With postage and customs charges these have worked out to be twice the cost they were available in Europe! Blue Planet wouldn't sell me a largish order saying the drivers they had were allocated to orders only for there speaker kits that employed this driver. Ce la vie.

Colin,

I was also under the same impression at first - but I recall Mark Fenlon posting some time back stating that the EL-70 spider was special one off for CSS - Bob Reimer wanted a driver extended on both sides and EL-70 was that. The EL-70 sports a double magnet (which is shielded) vs single one for CHP-70. Also there are some differences in specs...

Very good drivers both, especially for the money. :)

-Zia

p.s. I've been following your Dales from Audiotalk - handsome speakers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.