Mark Audio/Fostex... what to choose for new speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
after a friend visited my and listened to my MKII with Fostex 167E he directly offered me to buy them from me... I never thought to sell them, but since my little daughter (10 months old) likes to touch the drivers, and I will not easilly find a replacement, I do play with the idea, to give the speakers away as long as the drivers are not damaged...
So what now, ... I think to build a new couple of speakers, they should outperform the MKII, I was looking a little around, and SEAS exotic, Lowther and Supravox are out of my budget, so I have now two possible manufacturers, Fostex I can say that my current speakers in Bob´s desing are awesome.
Or Mark Audio, that caught my eye for some time already. Tang Band I cancelled from my list...

what would be our opinion? Im looking for a speaker that will have a clarity of the 167E, deliver more bass and top end and overall more detail (althout that is not a easy task)
I play with the idea for the following drivers:

Markaudio Alpair 10.2
Markaudio Alpair 12
Fostex F200A
Fostex FF225WK

The F200A might be the champ, but I´m not certain whether he is as well not out of my budget...

What would be you oppinion?
Any experience with the Alpairs? How much detail do they deliver, when the sensitivity lies below 90 Db?

Imagios,

I've been very impressed with my Alpair 12 - very clear and detailed, and good bass in the Super Pensil 12 cabinet. I haven't heard the FE167E, so cannot comment on how both drivers compare - I leave that to other members who have heard both. The sensitivity is 89 dB IIRC and plays pretty loud with a 5 watt/channel tube amp.

Blue Planet Acoustic had it on sale last time I checked - noticed you are located in Prague.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You are talking 2 quite different approachs to providng a musical expereince with a different set of trade-offs.. Which trade-offs suit you, only you can decide. I can only share my preferences.

What kind of amp do you have, how big a room, and how big a box?

FF225wk needs a helper tweeter -- at least based on comments of those who have implemented them.

Alpair12s are getting scarce on the ground, you'd have to check with bpa as to whether they actually have any (they say they still CHP & No6 woofers, but i have indirect info that that is not the case)

I'd personally choose A10.2 over A12, if has more DDR and more extension at both ends, the larger 6.5" A12 will do weight better. For the same kind of money i'd get A7.3 + helper woofers.

When we come to the Fostex, they all seem to have niggly little issues that mostly go away with treatment. So far of the new drivers we have sampled FF85wk, FF125wk, FF165wk, FE126En, FE166En, FE206En, in the right enclosure they are all fine (ie Victor is outstanding). Still a preference for the small ones with helper woofers.

dave

Hello,
after a friend visited my and listened to my MKII with Fostex 167E he directly offered me to buy them from me... I never thought to sell them, but since my little daughter (10 months old) likes to touch the drivers, and I will not easilly find a replacement, I do play with the idea, to give the speakers away as long as the drivers are not damaged...

Whatever you have for speakers, you'll need a protective grill, so why sell them? The MA drivers are even more fragile than Fostex.

jeff

What kind of amp do you have, how big a room, and how big a box?

dave

The room is 25m2,
and I think to sell my whole set, that would mean, for the new speakers I would build a GainClone amp,... and a passive preamp, or tube preamp.
This is just the opportunity to improve my system, so I play around with the idea...
Especialy when I would build new speakers I would already integrade some holes for screwt for protection... that I did not in the current ones

been a few years gone now, 9! I stumbled into this thread, I'm also considering some full range drivers in a build. What did you end up going with, you happy with it?
You also mentioned a gainclone amp, with tube preamp. I happen to have that exact setup right now! An Akitika GT-102 amp, and an Elekit TU-8500 pre-amp.
GT-102 Stereo Power Amplifier
TubeDepot.com | Elekit TU-8500 Stereo Tube Preamplifier Kit

It's a terrific combo. I've ran a pair of DIY bookshelfs (Carmody Speedsters) and some floor standers (Invictus) at the moment. It's just awesome.
Speedster - undefinition
Speaker Design Works

What enclosures are you thinking of? Those tall puppies at Woden design look neat. Or the time tested Frugel-Horns might be a slam dunk.

Woden Design
http://frugal-phile.com/boxes-markaudio.html

I'm a longtime big fan of the Alpair 10.3, in that way that i own several pairs. They are better than any fostex or TB that i heared. Other Mark Audios tend to go the same way, but the 10.3 is the best of the bunch if you ask me, with the 7.3 as close second.

It can be used in small bookshelfs, big floorstanders, horns like the frugalhorn, ... depending on your taste and wishes and so. But for that we need more info about your specific needs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
but the 10.3 is the best of the bunch if you ask me, with the 7.3 as close second

I rank them in th eother direction.

The A7.3 has better midTop finess but a system has to be good enuff to show the small edge and for most people the extra bass of the A10.3 is more important. The A6.2m has the same voicing in a smaller driver.

Then there are the MAOPs (made pretty much from unobtainium)

dave

I'm not so keen on Mark Audio drivers. For lack of a better word to describe it, they sound a little too polite.
It is a minor criticism, but I still prefer Fostex - perhaps it's the ragged frequency response, but they sound more exciting to me.

Wow, this was a while ago.

Just a quick FWIW that I eventually went on to multi-way speakers - the bumpy treble, limited LF and output of FR drivers just wasn't for me.

Chris

Ah, these are going through. I'll recreate it.

My goal with the speakers is a sensitive set that I can run off a low power tube amp, or DIY Class A Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp

The room is 12ft by 30ft with 8 1/2ft ceilings (3.6m x 9.1m x 2.6m).

Frugal-horn, I think that's out in front for my preference of the next build. I'm also not opposed to a larger design from Woden Design, like this big guy.

So, I don't have super specific goals. Just looking for a third build I can rotate around to experiment and have fun with. I'm coming from the Speedster bookshelfs

and Invictus over at Speaker Design Works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.