Adding a Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Hi Induate.
Thanks. I have a particular tweeter i want to try. This is my first speaker build. I have assumed that the sensitivity of the two speakers would need to be within a few db of each other for volume reasons. Not thinking of bi-amping at this stage.

Cheers

Cal.
Not with you here. Adding cap to tweeter will filter frequency arriving at the tweeter but will it also increase volume ? I thought a resistor to the more efficient ( Louder in comparison to the tweeter for a given signal strength ) allrange would be what is required.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are looking to add some sparkle to the top end. You can't do anything about increasing the tweeter volume and you shouldn't do anything about decreasing the sensitivity of the FR. Add a 1.5 cap and see how you like it. It costs you but a few dollars to know if you are on the right track if you use NP electrolytic caps.

Cheers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi All,

Just joined and learning at speed. Question on the electronic side of things. Adding a tweeter to enhance the air in the soundstage. What is the best way to attenuate or match a 87db sensitivity tweeter with a 98db fostex 203.

Cheers

You are talking about the FE203eSR Limited Edition?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you want to add a tweeter passively, you need to get one that is more efficeit.

The only way you can make an 87 dB tweeter work is to biamp.

The budget option Fostex FT96H Horn Super Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

ft96h.jpg

cheapest top mount (they go way up in price from there)

Fostex T90A Top Mount Horn Super Tweeter: Madisound Speaker Store

t90a.jpg

dave

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Okay got the picture. Carl how would you wire the cap ? And quickly Dave where is the best place (s) in Melb for obtaining quality bits for building speakers crossovers etc.

Cheers

As Cal implied earlier, the simplest way to taste test a passive add-on like this is a cap in series with the + input to tweeter, the value of which is determined by a formula that includes impedance of both drivers, and the desired XO frequency.

If both drivers were 8ohms (and approx same sensitivity) 1.5mF would give you a point in the region of 13500Hz - to calculate for different frequencies, use an on-line applet such as:

2-Way Crossover Designer / Calculator

Break in would be approx 150 hours. Running solid state at the moment . Have listened on an EL 84 which is better in that region. Cab is straight bass reflex at 45 litres. Need to play with stuffing port size etc.

Thanks

Bass reflex could well explain elevated (relative) levels of upper mids on up - I think it's fair to say that if there is any consensus on this class of Fostex driver, it's that they "work best" in some form of BLH - from as simple as BIB to more elaborate manifold designs. As to amps, these drivers are more than efficient enough that a DHT can be very delicious.

Do you have any BIB links. I will search this site for some. I have ordered a KT 120 maybe that is a mistake. Don't know any DHT amps or review on them. In the learning phase with tubes (Well everything for that matter lol ). People speak of 45 sets with the same glow in their eyes. Just looking at planet-10 phase plugs may help the screaming/ beaming.

Cheers

T90a

Hi Ginge

I am in Melbourne and have the T90a tweeter from Fostex partnered with teh Fe208e sigma driver. i have horns so a slightly different box configuration than yours, but a very similar driver.

I bought my driver/tweeter from overseas (madisound) 3 years ago because it was significantly cheaper than sourcing a local provider. i have dealt with the local supplier for other fostex items, and they are fine, just more expensive. Postage these days is not a long wait from the US.

In my configuration, I have found the 0.68uF cap in series with the tweeter the best, and I would assume this would meld well with your set up. The 203 would already have more HF than the 208, so you could adjust this to taste. I found the 1.0uF cap a bit bright, and the 1.5uf overblown. The 0.47 was quite ok, but just darker, and less air.

I also run mine with a SET 45 amp which is great, but dont expect big bass or huge dynamics. What it does right is realism, and organics, but not fat bass or huge depth (which some people like).

good luck...Adam

Do you have any BIB links. I will search this site for some. I have ordered a KT 120 maybe that is a mistake. Don't know any DHT amps or review on them. In the learning phase with tubes (Well everything for that matter lol ). People speak of 45 sets with the same glow in their eyes. Just looking at planet-10 phase plugs may help the screaming/ beaming.

Cheers

Unfortunately Bib-zilla has not been able to update his site for a while now, but I would be surprised if someone hasn't already executed a BIB for this driver or its close cousins already. Although the enclosure for this size driver won't be physically small, they are a very simple construction - but dimensions are important.

A KT120 might be more power than the 203s require , but unless the particular amp circuit is poorly designed or implemented, there's probably no reason it couldn't sound wonderful.

45 is a deliciously sweet amp (personally far preferable to any 300B I've yet heard), but very limited in output power

I'd suggest you contact Dave via his commercial site e-mail link regarding any possible irreversible treatments to a driver such as the 203.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.