Alpair 10.2 home theater build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at making a 5.1 system using the Alpair 10.2 for each of the five channels or maybe subbing two Alpair 7's for the rears. I am faced with some space restrictions. The rear speakers will have to be mounted about 7 feet up in a 2'x1 area and my center channel can't be too large. I am looking at using the pensil designs for my left and right channels. my center channel will need to go on top of my entertainment system which has a 48" x 18" top and it can't be more than 1' tall. Any help on enclosure ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Suffice it to say that I have a very small living room.

I'm looking at making a 5.1 system using the Alpair 10.2 for each of the five channels or maybe subbing two Alpair 7's for the rears. I am faced with some space restrictions. The rear speakers will have to be mounted about 7 feet up in a 2'x1 area and my center channel can't be too large. I am looking at using the pensil designs for my left and right channels. my center channel will need to go on top of my entertainment system which has a 48" x 18" top and it can't be more than 1' tall. Any help on enclosure ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Suffice it to say that I have a very small living room.

How large is the room? Considering the fact that even using 10.2s would still require separate woofer(s) for the .1 channel, you might want to consider downsizing to the Alpair 7 for the front row, and perhaps even A6M for the rear.

You may well have plenty of floor space for the Pensil 10 enclosures, but the restriction on the center channel enclosure could be an issue.

My own HT system is in a room approx 340 sq ft (listening position at approx 60% long dimension), and the complement described above provides quite adequate for SPLs ( I probably should measure for posterity sake) The center channel enclosure for the Alp 7 measures approx 7 1/4" H x 18" W x 8" D - small enough that it's temporarily been used (for the past 3 or 4 months) as a stand for the flatscreen TV - this keeps the acoustic center more aligned with the drivers in the Pensil-7s .

Enclosures for rear surrounds and optional front height for the A6M can be pretty tiny - as small as 2 or so liters sealed. Mine were compound angled for installation in upper corner - I'd probably do it differently next time.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have a subwoofer to handle the bottom end. I have space on top of my entertainment center that could theoretically accommodate and enclosure "12 tall x "48 wide x "18 deep. Hope that helps.

It looks like I will have 3 of the 10.2's and two of the 7's.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have a subwoofer to handle the bottom end. I have space on top of my entertainment center that could theoretically accommodate and enclosure "12 tall x "48 wide x "18 deep. Hope that helps.

It looks like I will have 3 of the 10.2's and two of the 7's.

It's generally taken for granted that any 5 or 7.1 surround system incorporates (at least one) sub - two or more smaller units for distributed bass works must better.

Not to beat a dead horse, but how large is the room? It could well be that the 10.2 is larger than you'd need, but if you want to pursue that, there must be a drawing for small center enclosure on someone's sketchpad. Remember that it needn't dig very deep - as low as 80 or so would be fine, so a small sealed or resistively vented could work fine, including something like the attached.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/ClassicGR-MarKen10g2-map-080211.pdf

. In my own system with 7s in front row, I settled on 110 as XO to the LFE channel, and am still fiddling with XO for the surrounds.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.