Kofi Annan in: "Speakers for Baby Huey"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey-- it's been a while, I know, but now I'm old and I have a kid and all so audio projects have been taking a back seat lately...

With that in mind, I am fresh off the build of a nice Baby Huey amp for a friend and now he needs speakers. Something on the smallish side that would makte will with the Huey would be best.

I'm thinking Frugel Horn or maybe a small single-driver bookshelf (Onken?), but I don't know which would be a good match for the Huey (EL84 push pull).

Recommendations?

Kofi

Hey-- it's been a while, I know, but now I'm old and I have a kid and all so audio projects have been taking a back seat lately...

With that in mind, I am fresh off the build of a nice Baby Huey amp for a friend and now he needs speakers. Something on the smallish side that would makte will with the Huey would be best.

I'm thinking Frugel Horn or maybe a small single-driver bookshelf (Onken?), but I don't know which would be a good match for the Huey (EL84 push pull).

Recommendations?

Kofi

Mark Audio CHP / CHR70 or (CSS E70) are very nice for cheap, and work well in either smallish "ken" style or FH3.

If a bit more budget is available, the Alpair7 is very very nice

The new Fostex FF - WK are also very nice - so far my favorite is the 85 - silly good performer is small boxes and great as near field

I've heard all of the above with a variety of tube amps from 2A3 SE to EL84 P/P (Tubelab SimplePP), and they all love the more power you can give them

Thanks for the responses!

So, I've looked into your suggestions and I think I'm going with the Mark Audio Alpair 7 Gen. 3s in a FH3.

Anyone heard this combo? Any building advice?

Kofi

plywood! - as in Baltic / Russian / Finnish or any decent multi-ply ( Murphy Hardwood Plywood- Eugene Oregon make a very nice one)

rebate driver for flush mounting will require 3/4" (18mm) for front baffle, 5/8" (15mm) for remaining panels could suffice

additional damping fill required for the Alpair7 as per the detailed document by Dave

as Phil notes this is a great sounding combination, as much as the Alpairs play nice with 3-4W of DHT or similar, they thrive on a bit more - just follow Mark's precautions on break-in, and remember to operate at reasonable SP levels (or HP and add woofers) and you should be very happy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.