Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)

In my opinion it will be correct to use 4 speakers TEBM65C20F-8 and 4 speakers TEBM35C10-4. This will ensure sufficient sound pressure in both bands with minimal distortion. I got a good result with a crossover point at 1kHz. Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator) pictures in post #537

have you tried the TEBM46C20N-4B ?
I'm planning a 2.2 portable bluetooth speaker and want to use 2x Sonos Play 5 Woofers and 2 BMR drivers. I was looking at the CSS BMR56XE N8R but it seems not possible to buy some.

TheTEBM65C20F-8can not be used full range. And while the data for TEBM46C20N-4B looks good, i have read here on diyaudio that the speaker has some problems after some time, and the frequency response alters with time.

I also have thought about using 2x Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 for each side.

It would be kind if you would share your thoughts on which driver would be the best.

Thanks

It would be kind if you would share your thoughts on which driver would be the best.

Thanks
Unfortunately I do not know the TSP parameters for Sonos Play 5 Woofer, but to make the right choice you should take into account the difference in power and sensitivity. Therefore, I assume that most likely you should choose the TEBM46C20N-4B. By the way, I have no negative experience with these drivers.

Unfortunately I do not know the TSP parameters for Sonos Play 5 Woofer, but to make the right choice you should take into account the difference in power and sensitivity. Therefore, I assume that most likely you should choose the TEBM46C20N-4B. By the way, I have no negative experience with these drivers.

Thank You

i'll try to get some more reviews about the TEBM46C20N-4B

and yeah its hard to get any data for the woofer as it is not sold separately from sonos, but you can get it on ebay. the only "data" i have is that the "Xmax is 9.4mm each way" and a very low distortion.

The Sonos Play 5 (2nd Gen) has 3x the 4" Woofer and some DSP magic with which the Speaker goes <40Hz in such small enclosure. It should be one of the best portable speakers you can buy, but i have not heard it myself yet

this channel has some content about it, since its rare to find any info about Sonos speaker parts. i guess the people who buy Sonos don't really take them apart xD
YouTube

Hi Alvipet,

It looks like you are making strides with the BMR.

I have always struggled with the idea of running them full range, and XO design scares me. Which only leaves the expensive routes to get them to play nice.

I saw a few posts back people commenting on the Boenicke drivers. Does anyone know how they use their woofer in the W8? it says it runs full range, and is this a BMR or similar?

Hi Alvipet,

It looks like you are making strides with the BMR.

I have always struggled with the idea of running them full range, and XO design scares me. Which only leaves the expensive routes to get them to play nice.

I saw a few posts back people commenting on the Boenicke drivers. Does anyone know how they use their woofer in the W8? it says it runs full range, and is this a BMR or similar?

Here is a recording of one of my last projects with the BMR: YouTube , but now I have switched to the projects of NXT acoustic systems SheetControl

Going to be experimenting with a “tripolar” side surround speaker using 4 BMR’s per speaker, hoping to have them running at the weekend.

Attachments

• CA348C55-1280-45D6-8ACD-C28F0F4F6ECB.jpeg
    CA348C55-1280-45D6-8ACD-C28F0F4F6ECB.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 458
have you tried the TEBM46C20N-4B ?
I'm planning a 2.2 portable bluetooth speaker and want to use 2x Sonos Play 5 Woofers and 2 BMR drivers. I was looking at the CSS BMR56XE N8R but it seems not possible to buy some.

TheTEBM65C20F-8can not be used full range. And while the data for TEBM46C20N-4B looks good, i have read here on diyaudio that the speaker has some problems after some time, and the frequency response alters with time.

I also have thought about using 2x Tectonic TEBM35C10-4 for each side.

Thanks

I would debate that the TEBM65C20F can't be used full range. I've used them on 3 projects as standalone drivers and really love them. I'm actually looking to try use one as the woofer)sub on a small 2.2 setup as they handle 50-60hz with ease. I have only had them running for 9 months on a daily basis, so if they have started to deteriotate I haven't noticed. On certain forums they do get a bad rap, apparently inefficient and specs are wrong, maybe later I'll have a different opinion, but currently they are at a good price, sound good and at the moment I rate them :)

Unless your reasoning is due to the size.

What's the application?
There is no "what's the best driver?"... but there is a different good driver for different specific applications out there.

The little 2.5" from Tectonic has a really good FR, even off axis, but it needs a XO closer to 500Hz (lots of distortion under that), and it has no power and no projection (quite low sensitivity as well), so best used in a very near field configuration.

Have a look at ‘Cotswold Sound Systems’ website for a range of possibilities. Not sure if you’ll get a reply but worth the attempt.
They feature a 6” diameter BMR but have never seen or heard of it anywhere outside of their website nor heard of anyone else having knowledge of it. I enquired about it but received no reply.

Looks like "vaporware" to me.

No real picture of the driver, but a 3D rendering of it, and a very flat FR, without the typical drop that all BMR drivers have at the resonance of the flat "cone"... unless they figured what everybody else missed....

And a "calculated" FR response.

Yeah. Good luck getting that company to answer your questions....

Until someone reliable gets their hands on an actual driver and measure it to confirm... that CSS company (CSS, really? talk about trying to steal some mouse clicks!) will be on my "don't touch" list.

Having heard the previous generation of Derek's BMR, they were as I said before incredibly impressive. I can't quite get on board with the Parts Express $20 drivers, these can't possible be as good?

The aim with all my projects is eventually to make them a commercial offering, and if more than 1 person says they can't communicate with CSS, then they probably are not worth dealing with.

I also realise there is no perfect driver, the Manger seemed on the face of it to be pretty good?

There doesn't seem to be any real development on the BMR front recently?

I am coming from using Mark Audio's as I find the ability to run truly wide band pretty useful, but their recent demise of the 1 driver we have spent a few years building up an entire product range around without any forewarning has soured the relationship slightly.

So ideally looking for a new driver technology, that can run as wide band as possible, happy to cross over to a mid/woofer (thinking SB acoustics Satori). But one that operates as near a perfect driver as can be...?