Zigmahornet with Markaudio drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, just curious. A friend of mine picked up a pair of CHR-70's a couple of days ago and since I've been eyeballing the Zigmahornet and it's glowing review on 6moons I've been curious to know if it'll work in a standard zigmahornet enclosure or if there's any variation to accomodate it.

Thanks,
Steven

Hey guys, just curious. A friend of mine picked up a pair of CHR-70's a couple of days ago and since I've been eyeballing the Zigmahornet and it's glowing review on 6moons I've been curious to know if it'll work in a standard zigmahornet enclosure or if there's any variation to accomodate it.

Thanks,
Steven

There are probably enclosures that can deliver more of this driver's bandwidth potential than the Zigmas - Pensil for one is a simple build.

I heard the same pair reviewed by 6moons a few years ago at a VSAC show ( 2 Bald Guys?), and they did a lot of things well, but extended, ripple free low frequency response was not among them. As I recall they were powered by a very nice 6L6 or 6V6 amp, but assisted with powered woofer for much of the demo.

For those who've actually heard the Zigmahornet with the Merrill drivers, and have a different opinion - that's fine too.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
<rant>
The Zigmahornet has only 1 redemming value -- the tall skinny format is aesthetically pleasing.

Put printouts of all the diy FR designs on a wall. Blindfold yourself. Throw a dart at the wall. If you actually hit a design the probability is very high that you'll stick a better design (sonically)

The Merrill DCA4 worked because: 1/ it has a quite high Q (>1) and wants to see as large a box as possible. 2/ it has a high Fs (100 Hz plus) and does not go low enuff to excite the overlong column if the ZHornet.

Trying to use a driver that actually gets close to exciting the column will start showing the box for what it is.

</rant>

I think you would also find that the CHR won't fit on the baffle without sticking out.

Pick a driver and build a box designed for that driver.

dave

For a single pair of CHR70s, either the Pensil, or mono-driver version of P10 MT would be on my short list . While my favorites are fairly well know, all of Mark's drivers I've heard to date deserve enclosure designs that extract their full potential.

The Zigma might be suitable for the A6, provided they could be shoehorned into the very narrow baffle, but as Dave notes, they'd probably need to be crossed over high enough to a pair of woofers to disguise the enclosure's design shortcomings.

Thanks guys. Advice taken. CHR70 Pensil has already been drawn, processed and is ready to cut on my CNC. If my buddy doesn't like them and decides to go another enclosure route, I'll build them for myself. Assuming the new CHR-70 version 3's will work in the same enclosure as Mark has stated in another thread.

diyparadise sells the Merrill drivers.

I believe the situation is more like: they sold all the remaining stock, and now have something completely different.

dave

Whichever the case may be regarding the "Merrill" drivers, the issue remains that Stevenz's friend already has the CHR70s, for which the Zigma enclosure is not likely a good match

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the issue remains that Stevenz's friend already has the CHR70s, for which the Zigma enclosure is not likely a good match

CHRs dropped into Zigma drawing.

dave

Attachments

• CHR-inZigma.gif
    CHR-inZigma.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 319
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.