Alpair 6M build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Here's some pictures of my first Markaudio build for my own use. I needed music upstairs in my house since my main 5.1 (5.3?) system is downstairs with the tv. The first owner of the house had wired in speaker terminals for his surround speakers when his tv was upstairs, so I wanted to use them for providing ambient music upstairs in the long relatively narrow living room / kitchen.

I run them from a Sonos ZP120 and use an Aurasound 10" sealed subwoofer I built months ago for bass. They are new Alpair 6M drivers in an 8.3L box with a 47mm ID port 150mm long, built out of 18mm baltic birch and covered with African Mahogany crotch swirl veneer. I tried Deftane Brushing Laquer for the first time and while they look good in the pictures, I did not get the finish very level an will have to sand and polish after they harden for a while. I think I will stick to Danish Oil in the future.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They sound very nice. They only have a couple quiet hours on them so far, so I have not asked much of them yet.

I'm also not a very critical ear, and this room is certainly not set up as a dedicated music room, so I'm not going to be dissapointed if they don't blow me away with their imaging and soundstage after break-in time!

After discovering this site and the personal approach Mark has with his customers I don't anticipate using any other manufacturer anytime soon! Here's a picture of a centre channel I built for a friend after he described how he has difficulty hearing dialogue with clarity on his old 5.1 system. Since I built this he went out and replaced his old receiver an is now eagerly awaiting the release of the new CHR-70 so I can build more speakers for him! The curve on the front follows the contour of his tv stand, since this is installed with a 50" Samsung plasma tv standing on top of it.

I am very much a beginner still, more in the 'how-not-to' kind of stage :p

Now that they are getting more time on them I've turned it up a bit. They sound great, and have no problem filling a 12' X 30' room! I've seen music suggestions in other threads, I would certainly submit Sade and Sara McLachlan as required listening. They sound good any any system I am sure, but if 'Angel' by Sara McLachlan doesn't give you a bit of a chill on your Markaudio speakers you need a new hobby:cheeky:

I am very much a beginner still, more in the 'how-not-to' kind of stage :p

Now that they are getting more time on them I've turned it up a bit. They sound great, and have no problem filling a 12' X 30' room! I've seen music suggestions in other threads, I would certainly submit Sade and Sara McLachlan as required listening. They sound good any any system I am sure, but if 'Angel' by Sara McLachlan doesn't give you a bit of a chill on your Markaudio speakers you need a new hobby:cheeky:

I sat down about 10 minutes ago for the first serious listening session in my little cave in quite a while, and thought that Loreena - Nights from the Alhambra would make a good start.
Alpair 10.2 /Mar-Ken10 /3.5 watts of EL84PP triode - if Penelope's Song or Dante's Prayer don't give you at least goosebumps, you need a soul transplant, not just a new hobby .

Hi Dave, on the sheet of Alpair 7 dMar-Ken7a Centre, there is an annoucement of a centre design for the alpair 6m (coming soon). The sheet is 2 years old. Can you tell me where to find the design? I need a smaller one than the alpair 7. The cMarS Centre that would be a bit smaller, if that design is available, it would als be of great help.

new image links

noticed the image links are gone, plus my old user name in the new-computer-shuffle.

I made a little platform for the router. A flat board with two peices on the ends resting on the curved surface that held the platform just above the surface of the curve. Router and circle cutter reach through the platform to engage the curved surface and the centre pilot hole.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.