A poor man Feastrex !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess since Alnico is $44 per KG and Neodymium is $275 per KG--we will see more Alnico?

Interesting looking full range though--not common to see a large 12 inch beast so maybe a back loaded horn, BIB or something else can get decent bass out of one of them? Much easier to add a super tweeter and cap than deal with subwoofers etc. The Audio Nirvana stuff looks interesting but with a price to match.

Any more specs, the name of the company or ????

That's right at the same weight as Altec's 15" 416 AlNiCo H.E. mid bass horn drivers, so to address tinitus's concern we need to know its T/S specs to see if it's mostly just a heavy return pot.

GM
Some TSP:
Impedance 8 Ohm
Minimum 34 Hz
Freq Response Fo 18 kHz
SPL 92,8 dB
Rated Input 30W
Music Power 45W
Fs 34.942 Hz
Re 7,2 Ohm
VC 38 mm
Mms 32,964 g
B x L 8,135 TM
No 1,199 %
Vas 228,8 L
Qms 5,647
Qes 0,787
Qts 0,691
Xmax 1 mm
Magnet Weight 1.100g
Net Weight 11.900 g

GM

Joined 2003
Not much magnet there, the AlNiCo 416's Qes hovered around 0.2-0.22.

Altec's 12" AlNiCo 414 had a smaller 1.8 lb motor with a correspondingly 'weaker' 0.33-0.35 Qes to give a frame of reference of relationship of magnet size Vs total motor weight, so tinitus's skepticism appears to be justified.

Still, with a ~0.7 Qts, it's suitable for a wide range of alignments, though with its relatively high Vas, most cab sizes will be large.

GM

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
maybe we are missing the point

reason for saying that, I do not 'believe' in the magnet motor principle
way too much 'iron'
even for Feastrex I look at it as a 'sales booster'
I think its all the other aspects of the design that makes it a good driver
precise and careful craftmanship is the key there
as for the use of exstremely expencive materials
that I believe is a waste, and a sales booster, again
but the love and care for every detail makes it different
I'm certain they could get 99% of the quality with 'ordinary' materials
and at a more attractive price
but fancy highend needs to be expencive to get the right 'reputation'

so, where does it leave a driver like this

mind you, even if ordinary and cheap, it could still be a good driver

Interesting point of view, I already suspected a powerful motor is not essential to great sound quality, as the praised Visaton B200 has a low BL factor, only 3,9TM.

On the other hand, automotive woofers always have a big magnet and motors, some even reach a BL factor=30TM, and the sound quality=0, is non-existent.

<snip>
but the love and care for every detail makes it different
I'm certain they could get 99% of the quality with 'ordinary' materials
and at a more attractive price
but fancy highend needs to be expencive to get the right 'reputation'
<snip>

James Galway frequently performs on a flute made of solid platinum. Now physicists have claimed for a very long time that material for wind instruments doesn't matter (to a point) because the instrument doesn't vibrate, just reflects. When Sir Galway was asked about this he did reply that he didn't think the platinum made any difference other than the extra care that the maker will take when presented with $33,000 of raw material.

There is some truth to more expensive materials making something better, even if physically they aren't all that different.

Hi,
After some minutes of playing the instrument is all wet of saliva internally, and the saliva is corrosive.
A rusty wind instrument is ruined, because the sound emission is very bad, but if the instrument are gold plated or have add 10% of gold in the cast of the metal, it will not rust and will last ''forever''.

I always wondered about the attraction to Alnico magnets

They are stronger than ceramic but Neodymium is in another league all together. I hear things like Alnico sounds better so I'd figure those folks would go nuts over Neo--but not so. Neo magnet tweeters, sure but not Neo woofers to the extent that Alnico does.

The $69,000 a pair Feastrex FRs use Alnico and that gives it the mystical sound that makes the price acceptable? Does Neo sound bad or is it too common to be considered for a "audiophile" grade full range?

Ironically, Alnico is 5 times cheaper than Neodymium on the world market so... it is cheaper but in a speaker costs way more?

Why is Alnico better for a speaker than Neo?

Thanks, Joachim

I knew there had to be a reason for Alnico over ceramic or Neo. Now that neodymium prices have gone through the roof, is it expected that Alnico will become much more common in speakers now? I have neodymium array woofers and tweeters and am curious about Alnico.

That large 12" Alnico full range looks promising with a super tweeter/cap and a sub for below 50Hz. My "garage speakers" have no requirement to meet any WAF specifications so the field is wide open.

Thinking back to my father's McIntosh tube amp with those Altec speakers, I'm assuming the properties of alnico was very important with the poorly damped tubes. Solid state and skyrocketing price of Alnico in the late 70's killed it off.

Since the market for tube specific gear is so small, that would explain why Alnico is so expensive. I can have a set of 50's era PA monoblock tube amps for free if I pick them up so I'll do more reading on Alnico.

At this point, the OB speakers will be Eminence Beta12LTA dual cones with a Fostex super tweeter and cap. Not sure if the ghost of my father will haunt me if I duplicate his system but skip the alnico or not.

My two cents are:
I think there is more reasons for the better Alnico sound, to my ears a good Alnico magnet give beautiful Harmonics to the music, just as a tube amp or even more.

The only Fullrange driver advantage I can see, is no need to use a crossover, if one put a inductor or cap in the music signal, the music's Harmonic integrity will be lost.

In the case of a cap/inductor use I fell it is better buy a regular assembled two way speaker with hi sensitivity, as the Klipsch RF line, that are very suited to a tube amp, or even built one.
Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.