Looking for a driver to pair with PE 0.25 cu ft cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will be used as computer speakers which is why I want to keep the cabinets small. As far as budget goes would like to keep the cost of a pair at ~$120.

I was looking at the EL70 ported kit from CSS but it is supposed to be for a .5 cu ft cabinet so I am not sure if it would work with something half the size.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here you go... The EL70 will be good from ~4.5 litre up to 14 litre

PE cab is 7 litre

dave

Attachments

• EL70-7litre-vented.gif
    EL70-7litre-vented.gif
    27.4 KB · Views: 241
gus6464 ,
did you build this configuration? Seems like a reasonable ready build DIY project...

Looking at planet10's screen shot of the speaker plot, am I correct in reading the port size as 2"x8" ( 51mmx207mm)?

regards,
Jeff

I read it as .00204m^2 = 3.16in^2 or 2040mm^2 * x .207m = 8.15" or 207mm

*45.16mm squared if you like, but I'm a big fan of the constricted slot port, which you'll see on a lot of Dave's smaller designs as a full cabinet width "shelf", that may need to be folded into an L at the back . We did some comparative listening a few years back, and ( were able to convince ourselves that we) heard better performance from the narrow slots. It's also a lot easier to adjust dimensions by changing height / width of slot (may sometimes need internal spacers) and length of shelf. Sometimes all you need to do to adapt a box to a driver with slightly different tuning requirements is to add/change spacer blocks.

Last edited:
thinking about this more, need a little help with the port

I'm going with the el70 in the small PE cabinets (7l)
now with the port....

the info given above was for the area of the port ( not the diameter). right?
Given that I'd like to use a round port and tube ( again, keeping the construction simple with PE's parts). I found a 1 3/4" x4" port tube, which has the same surface area ( about), but is half as long as the 8". Will this still work, or does it raise the tuning to much?

Any suggestions for a stock port tube which will work with the small PE cabinet?

thanks for any advise,
Jeff

I ordered speakers today- css el70 ported loudspeaker kit - figure getting the binding posts and wire is cheaper in the kit than ordering it up separate...
port tubes are not right for the design....too bad.

over the weekend I found some cabinet grade scrape plywood down the street and built some boxes - getting the PE boxes felt like cheating...

I made the smaller 7l box , something like 5x10x11.5...its on the planet10 site.
Assuming all goes well, I plan on covering them with wood veneer later. best box built yet...measure, measure,cut....aline saw, etc.

i can post pics if anyone want to see...haha

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.