"straight" frugel horn mk3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I really do like the look of the 0v8 frugel horn mk3, but I guess it is not so easy to build if you don't have your own cutting tools = there are angles EVERYWHERE...
For my part, I am used to buy some panels that are cut to my measures in shops, but they are necessarily straight ones (I guess I could cope with the rounded back using a jigsaw :trapper: )
Do you think the design would be compromised making it "straight" (see picture)
I intend to use a CHP70 pair that are in BR right now.
Best regards,
Eric

Attachments

• FRUGEL MK3 90DEG.jpg
    FRUGEL MK3 90DEG.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 713
I really do like the look of the 0v8 frugel horn mk3, but I guess it is not so easy to build if you don't have your own cutting tools = there are angles EVERYWHERE...
For my part, I am used to buy some panels that are cut to my measures in shops, but they are necessarily straight ones (I guess I could cope with the rounded back using a jigsaw :trapper: )
Do you think the design would be compromised making it "straight" (see picture)
I intend to use a CHP70 pair that are in BR right now.
Best regards,
Eric

Well, provided you're really only "pivoting" the angle of front panel and stretching the base to maintain the same taper geometry and dimensions defined by internal panels, the CSA of choke point ( i.e. 38mm, ) and radius of curved back panel, you'd probably be fine - but that should be confirmed by Scott. I think you would however diminish the striking aesthetics of the 5dg slanted front baffle. The cabinet is so much more elegant and slim looking than the much more complicated FH-I

Last edited:
Ok here is a trick that I learned years ago on wood working when you lack tools.
Small cabinet shops that are not busy can cut whatever you need if you suppy the wood cheap. You are only paying for their labor and if they are a small shop can do it for next to nothing. If you are really confused on angles and dimensions they can do it faster then you can calculate it. Some shops are great to deal with some are not so stop by in person and you will be suprised at what you find.
P.S. Pay cash and pick up on a Friday 30 minutes before they close leave a beverage if you can for the folks.

If you are ready, and have the possibility of tucking the speaker into a corner, you can probably quit the flares too, and get much the same effect.
I'd probably also lengthen the cab a bit to get the driver up to decent ear hight, if it isn't tilted back. You could probably compensate for volume and gain better stability by making a sand-filled cavity/45 degree reflector at the bottom.

Hi all,

Original design is
here

I made my pair to the above, I got the MDF cut into lengths at B&Q [UK DIY shed] and used a hand saw, an old power jigsaw and an old Record hand plane for the angles.

Take it slowly fit the next part into a previous one, work on both at once and you'll soon be finished.

They are the most graceful speakers and with the MA CHP-70's the most graceful sound I've ever heard.

I live not far from M1 Ju29 anyone is welcome to have a listen for themselves.

Warmest wishes - Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.