SEAS FA22RCZ vs. Fostex FE206En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems like these two drivers are in direct competition with each other. I'm surprised I there aren't more posts of people who have systems using the the Fostex; removing it and replacing it with the SEAS to try it out. Is the SEAS just not in the same league as the Fostex or is it just so new that people haven't tried it out much yet?

It seems like these two drivers are in direct competition with each other. I'm surprised I there aren't more posts of people who have systems using the the Fostex; removing it and replacing it with the SEAS to try it out. Is the SEAS just not in the same league as the Fostex or is it just so new that people haven't tried it out much yet?

They won't be in direct competition until the seas has proven itself to be DIY friendly, and a few ambitious diyer's have experimented with it. With the 30hz FS it's not IMO in direct comparison with really any fullranger I'm aware of. Just need a few guinea pigs so to speak. With that said, it's a very interesting driver that I suspect won't require massaging in the form of overly complex enclosures to get good bass response. If the response graphs are accurate it might need some upper midrange taming like some fostex drivers depending on personal taste, and likewise the use of a supertweeter.

>>> I suspect won't require massaging in the form of overly complex enclosures to get good bass response.

And where's the fun/challenge in that?

Admittedly I'm just going off of published specs, but with the 30hz FS, 6mm of p-p travel, and seemingly middle of the road QTS........the seas will be somewhat versatile as far as cab alignment. I'd love to see a graph of the seas in a behemoth BIB......I'd guess F3 would be in the 20's. This driver might be as close to actual full range as we've seen from an affordable driver......if the specs ring true that is.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My only complaint with the published specs of the FA22RCZ is the ragged and rising response in the high treble... I think these will be very sensitive to toe-in, and will only sound 'right' with the speakers pointing somewhere well short of the listening area. However, the possibility of real bass out of a 'normal' box will probably trump any oddities they might have in the higher octaves.

That said, I am very, very interested in this design, and will try them after my current speaker project is complete. (Troels Gravesen 3W-Classic)

Actually, compared to other wide-range drivers, the FA22RCZ does't look all that bad. The rising response is handled nicely with a L||R filter. What bothers me is the spike @~7kHz. This driver has the potential of being very sibilant and might need a notch filter. This spike @ 2Khz will make this driver somewhat forward, particularly compared to my speakers where I try to get a BBC dip (1-3kHz).

Size of a useful speaker will be a problem if WAF is important. The published sealed box is 80L. A BR or MLTL will be very large.

Bob

I have a pair of the SEAS in a 80 lt sealed enclosures and have run them now for a couple of weeks (should be broken in) and the sound is just not that interesting. Top end is out to lunch and bass is just, flaccid. I might try them in something else (BR maybe?).

I cannot speak to the Fe206en's, but the pair Fostex Fe167e's I
have sound by my ears, manifestly better.

Richard

Last edited:
I think this driver have potential, esp in the low end.

In this thread in a norwegian site you can have a impression of what we are doing with this driver here in Norway. http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php/topic,52583.540.html

The translator option in google will probably make a lot of confusion so dont hesitate to ask me questons in this thread. :)

PS! Bob B have made a MLTL prototype for this driver for me. One guy is almost ready with a pair and i will make mine in may i hope. I have also already made a pair in reduced size and i am very satisfied after port tuning and filtering with BSC, Impedance correction and a dip filter for the 3K peak. If i play with toe in 1 meter "in front of my nose" the impedance correction isnt realy neccecary.

Hans Erik, Oslo

I have a pair of the SEAS in a 80 lt sealed enclosures and have run them now for a couple of weeks (should be broken in) and the sound is just not that interesting. Top end is out to lunch and bass is just, flaccid. I might try them in something else (BR maybe?).

I cannot speak to the Fe206en's, but the pair Fostex Fe167e's I
have sound by my ears, manifestly better.

Richard

Could you tell us what amp you are using? Have you tried them open baffle?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Got mine today. 1st impression: packaging is unimpressive. Some of these are probably going to get damaged inside the packing box.

Open spider is nice... looks like room to put substantial damping on the front face of the magnet behind the spider.

Cone has interesting strands of light coloured stuff in it.

Cone shape & wizzer look vintage.

dave

Sorry made a small mistake, boxes are 60 litres sealed not 80 (I basically built the SEAS recommended sealed boxes)

I have tried them with a variety of stuff, Sansui AU 717, NAD 3020i, Pioneer SA9100 & then the with the NAD as Pre with some different solid state power-amps. The only valve amp I have is a Pioneer SA-400, which added a bit of warmth but that was about it.
Of the above I probably preferred the AU717. I haven't tried them in open baffle, but I am keen to give that a go.

Compared to the Fe167e? I suppose it came down to use of a super tweeter, I hooked up a FT17H with a 1.5uf cap to both. I felt the SEAS definitely needed it, where as the Fostex didn't.

Has anyone built an Aperiodic box? I am think of modding the sealed boxes with some home made 'variovents'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.