Need help on kid-proofing speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Full range Drivers look beautiful in a nice set of cabs and would love to keep it that way...

But we have a toddler in the house and she likes to have a poke at daddy's speakers :). Mid-ranges from my 3 way could not sustain under the attack, and I fear the thin cone FR drivers will be a very early casualty if given the same treatment...

I am thinking of making an acoustic grille (10" x 20") with a grid structure (for extra rigidity and protection) with each square being 1" x 1". The cloth will go on-top of the grid , and the cloth and grid structure will be at approx 1" distance from the baffle. I fear without the grid my daughter might be able to push back the cloth on to the driver. Thinking of making this by gluing thin strips of wood and cane together.

Sounds ok? Any other proven methods I can follow?

Thanks,
Zia

"gluing thin strips of wood and cane together" sounds like something that will
- block the acoustics (cuz they can only be so thin)
- break when she pokes it hard

1) Teach her NOT to poke at the speakers. Yes, it is possible. Been there, done that.

but as a backup plan :D

2) How about chicken wire/fencing under the grille cloth? I'm picturing the stuff that is like a 1" square grid, of pretty rigid metal.

or 2b) Get the metal grilles from a broken Martin-Logan
then
2b-1) Put a mild electric voltage across the grille. I think 42V is the magic number. Your toddler will touch it ONCE :nownow::eek:

my 2 years old boy put a scrtch at a pair of alpair7 a while ago, I understand the frustration friend ! :D
I now used a set of metal pc fan grill under the cloth grill cover, something like this:
007.jpg

008.jpg

005.jpg

they are cheap and look nice also.

Head_unit, teaching her not too, and that's an ongoing process - and of course w/o any application of voltages! :)

Jokes aside, how thick is thick enough to block acoustics? Chicken wire fencing was what I had in mind, but will that create resonance?

Tom, the grills you have suggested look smart but the mesh is very dense Won't these have an effect on acoustics?

Found this toasting grill :)... (pics attached). Can get some legs fixed on this and mount in front of the driver..

Size is 8" x 10". However gaps are small - more like 0.5" x 0.5". Also ends are not fixed - will these 2 factors:

1. Block/interfere sound
2. Create resonance

-Zia

Hello,
After repairing a pressed in dust cap with vacuum I considered the use of fly swatter therapy to help my granddaughter learn not to touch the speakers. She will stand there poised with her feigner ready to see if anyone is looking. The fly swatter is to use on the young ones’ mother.
DT
All just for fun!

Dave,

Probably toaster grills will take another name and use when they get dipped in plastic... if I toast'em the plastic will melt. :D

By door/window mesh are you refering to the fine mesh? I am attaching a pic. I was surprised - this stuff is soft to touch but doesn't get pushed back much even when used in large frames. It's pretty dense, so if I can use this in a nice frame, maybe I can skip the acoustic grill cloth?

The key thing about the nylon mesh is that the fixing to the frame needs to be tight. I've also drawn a rough design for the frame -probably can put together with plastic/wood pieces. Thinking of position the mesh 0.75" to 1" away from the baffle - will have to close the gaps on sides as well to stay safe from prying fingers.

If you are thinking different material or techniqe please let me know.
-Zia

Attachments

• nylon window mesh.jpg
    nylon window mesh.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Grill_frame.jpg
    Grill_frame.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 88
We are still at the double knit over an MDF frame (see MDF has its uses)

dave

:D Maybe time to start writing "100 Things You Can Do With MDF" or "MDF For Dummies"

Sounds smart and simple will use a nice MDF frame with this stuff tightly stretched over. Guess I can screw the MDF frame on (so many screws, OMG)?

Let me see I can find a nice color for the mesh :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.