Head to head comparison of Manger and Lowther in Acousta and Front horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMk_7JgEAgQ I have done a comparison between
(1) a Chinese variation of a unit similar to Audio Nirvana with Neodymium magnet that fits into a Lowther Acousta cabinet without modification,
(2) a PM6C in Acousta
(3) a PM2C in Acousta
(4) a Manger
(5) EX4 in front horn with bass from a DX2 in Acousta facing into the corner
(6) DX4 likewise.

On
YouTube - Comparison of good value, mid-price full range and PM6C PM2C drivers for Lowther Acousta speakers
I have done a comparison between cheap drivers and the PM6 and PM2 in Acousta

I'm looking forward to comparing these to a Tannoy 12 inch and a cheap 15 inch to which I've fitted a concentric tweeter . . .

The recordings were made about 10 degrees or so off axis using a H2 Zoom recorder at around 2 metres distance, except the EX4 and DX4 in front horns which were around 3m. They were all fed with around 2W, peaking at around 3W

Best wishes

David P

Last edited:
I was able to distinguish between the drivers even with just my laptop. From what i heard the Lowthers were best LOL... i'd really have to listen to them in person tho to make a real decision. Which drivers do you prefer?

Hi!

I thought it would be interesting to see if differences could be heard even through computer speakers and video compression . . .

The rolled back whizzer cones make a lot of difference in Acoustas - possibly PM6 units are most accurate but PM2 are more exciting. In front horns, PM2C units without the rolled back whizzer have the nasty resonance but with the rolled back whizzer it's much better and even without the rolled back whizzer, the DX4 / EX4 is superb. I have not decided whether I prefer DX4 or EX4 in the front horns . . .

Does anyone have any opinion listening to the videos?

For the purposes of comparison I kept the equalisation the same whereas I would normally turn up the bass to balance the DX4 EX4 units in the front horn.

Best wishes

David P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.