Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GRS full range driver
GRS full range driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

Default GRS full range driver

I received a pair of GRS full range drivers today and think they look just like the B20. I have not put them side by side and have not hooked them up yet. The foam surround seems to have more rubber in it, otherwise, it looks the part. I'm hopeful they will perform well.

Oh, and btw, the Lepai t-amp looks like crap. I ordered two and just got one. I am going to see if they will take it back. I have no desire to connect it to anything just from the look and feel. The dayton t-amps are much better looking in person than the Lapai.

Last edited by Godzilla; 6th January 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:18 PM   #2
parisnight is offline parisnight
diyAudio Member

Any chance to listen to the speaker? I have the bofu speaker and wondered if the GRS was comparable.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I listened to it in a small sealed box and it works. I did not directly compare it to the B20 but my overall impression of the speaker on its own is that it sounds brighter than the B20 but maybe a little 'chalky'... if that helps. I have a few ceiling speakers i've been playing with and they tend to have this chalky sound compared to hi-fi drivers (tb, fostex for example). When i look at the driver it looks just like the B20 i don't even miss the B20 anymore. Looking at it now i think it belongs in a Voigt Pipe. It's so cheap too! Honestly, i've only listened to it once lol... but as the days go by i will post my thoughts. I always liked the look of this driver. It's like a vintage full ranger. Easily driven by my t-amp. I think it's a safe bet to purchase and play around with. Perhaps it's a tweaker's dream.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Jeff,

The B20's are usually described as sounding cupped.
I know you probably haven't compared B20 to GRS in the same enclosure side by side, but what do you mean by the GRS sounding "Chalky"?

R/
Jim
Old 11th January 2011, 05:21 AM   #5
skeeter99 is offline skeeter99  United States
diyAudio Member

So are the specs on these pretty much the same as B20? If so it should be a drop in for all of the B20 designs ...
Old 11th January 2011, 01:13 PM   #6
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

I was looking at this speaker too. However I was looking for a 4" and 8" of some similar design to build a half scale pair with.

Let us know how it sounds.

GRS full range driverHide this!Advertise here!