New FRX OB driver from Decware

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting. Looks like Steve has taken the Dayton PS220 as the basis, and added his own motor, along with the big extra roll foam surround also seen on his tweaked Fostex drivers.

It's certainly a physically impressive looking unit. I reckon the extra gubbins on the back will benefit from some physical support to avoid stressing the frame. The measurements / specs. as presented look decent. Hopefully some independent measures & impressions will appear soon.

I would never criticize anyone for trying to make great drivers! I hope he sells a bunch to full range driver fans all over the world. But seeing that driver makes me wonder how it compares to the stock offering? I know the specs are totally different but given the multitude of designs available there must be ways to make the stock driver work really well.

When shooting for perfection sometimes one falls short... but the effort sometimes pushes things forward in ways that benefit lesser expensive products. I'm curious what Decware has done... I say this while enjoying a pair of much cheaper drivers that are far from perfect but with good qualities of their own. Makes me question the cost of such things.

Neat looking piece of gear tho!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Steve is adding the front surround, and than adding a transformer* coupled HF shelving filter circuit to flatten the rising FR. This is buried in a cyclinder, to give the apperance of a field coil (and jump on the bandwagon). An awful lot of purposely being obtuse in the verbage to describe what is happening.

* a variation on the Decware OPT?

Has anyone successfully downloaded the 8" PE spec pdf with something on the sheet? I'm guessing the passive shelving filter will take away more than a half-dB

dave

I am not the expert but I think "equalization" circuit is not the right word. If I understood correctly, the transformer is more like a control gate for current flow. It’s more like a tank full of water. If the water level rises it flows out so the pressure at the bottom of the tank stays constant. I really liked this self controlled mechanism.

If the frequency response is accurate, I am really impressed with it. I believe that natural tone & details of the speaker depends on linearity of the frequency response (with other factors). I was looking for a full range whose response is as linear as possible. I looked at Voxativ, Fertin, Feastrex, etc frequency responses and was ready to drop a good amount of money. But after comparing 1/48 octave smoothing response of this driver to others which were 1/12 (rare) or 1/3 (very standard for most of the manufacturers) I was disappointed with exotic drivers. I believe Dayton cone & motor design is a very good quality with lower distortion and when it combines with very liner frequency response, it’s the best combinations I am anticipating.

I am going to try this driver and will post my impression. May take couple of months.
Regards.

Cool that you are going to give it a try, wish I had a higher paying job lol.. I think it probably sounds really good as Steve makes some good sound..

Mr.D (P-10) , do you have any interest in giving this driver a go in it's stock form to play and hear etc.. Seems like a fairly decent offering for the stock price and may be worthy of some of your final touches too etc..

The sens is nice and the build quality looks up there with Fostex..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am not the expert but I think "equalization" circuit is not the right word. If I understood correctly, the transformer is more like a control gate for current flow. It’s more like a tank full of water. If the water level rises it flows out so the pressure at the bottom of the tank stays constant. I really liked this self controlled mechanism.

An EQ circuit is exactly what it is, and what you have described.

dave

I went to commonsenseaudio.com and noticed the baskets look just like the dayton driver. They also have alcino options. I didn't know that. I wanted to check their 12" driver out since i've been listening to the eminence 12lta and always look for drivers using the same hole cutout... looks like it's priced fairly. And the japanese coi fish and other artowork on those cabinets looks beautiful!

Could anyone confirm the family resemblance of the dayton and audio nirvana drivers?

Interesting one. The baskets aren't exactly the same -the Dayton has a circular frame where the ANs' are cut away in a quasi-square-cross-section a la Fostex &c. It's possible that they are made by a factory from the same group (in Taiwan IIRC). However, I suspect the Daytons may be better built / to tighter production tolerances. Whatever their other qualities, the AN drivers have been somewhat more variable in this regard judging from the measurements taken by some owners.

I'm increasingly liking the look of the Daytons. Ditto the new 8in Seas unit. Steve's modified P220 looks decent for what it is too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.