Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New FRX OB driver from Decware
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2011, 12:26 AM   #11
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

deposit 50% ....
Old 5th January 2011, 01:23 AM   #12
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Cool looking driver.

But I suspect the 'shrinking' contour of the phase plug might be problematic. When the cone (whizzer) moving in and out (Xmax = 4mm or so), there would be some 'pumping' effect around here...
Old 5th January 2011, 07:19 PM   #13
creekkumar is offline creekkumar  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not the expert but I think "equalization" circuit is not the right word. If I understood correctly, the transformer is more like a control gate for current flow. It’s more like a tank full of water. If the water level rises it flows out so the pressure at the bottom of the tank stays constant. I really liked this self controlled mechanism.

If the frequency response is accurate, I am really impressed with it. I believe that natural tone & details of the speaker depends on linearity of the frequency response (with other factors). I was looking for a full range whose response is as linear as possible. I looked at Voxativ, Fertin, Feastrex, etc frequency responses and was ready to drop a good amount of money. But after comparing 1/48 octave smoothing response of this driver to others which were 1/12 (rare) or 1/3 (very standard for most of the manufacturers) I was disappointed with exotic drivers. I believe Dayton cone & motor design is a very good quality with lower distortion and when it combines with very liner frequency response, it’s the best combinations I am anticipating.

I am going to try this driver and will post my impression. May take couple of months.
Regards.
Old 6th January 2011, 03:20 AM   #14
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool that you are going to give it a try, wish I had a higher paying job lol.. I think it probably sounds really good as Steve makes some good sound..

Mr.D (P-10) , do you have any interest in giving this driver a go in it's stock form to play and hear etc.. Seems like a fairly decent offering for the stock price and may be worthy of some of your final touches too etc..

The sens is nice and the build quality looks up there with Fostex..
Old 6th January 2011, 04:37 AM   #15
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekkumar View Post
I am not the expert but I think "equalization" circuit is not the right word. If I understood correctly, the transformer is more like a control gate for current flow. Itís more like a tank full of water. If the water level rises it flows out so the pressure at the bottom of the tank stays constant. I really liked this self controlled mechanism.
An EQ circuit is exactly what it is, and what you have described.

dave
Old 6th January 2011, 04:39 AM   #16
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCan View Post
Mr.D (P-10) , do you have any interest in giving this driver a go in it's stock form to play and hear etc..
Not really. if someone sends me a pair (or pays for a set) i will play with them.

dave
Old 6th January 2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Godzilla is offline Godzilla  United States
diyAudio Member

I went to commonsenseaudio.com and noticed the baskets look just like the dayton driver. They also have alcino options. I didn't know that. I wanted to check their 12" driver out since i've been listening to the eminence 12lta and always look for drivers using the same hole cutout... looks like it's priced fairly. And the japanese coi fish and other artowork on those cabinets looks beautiful!

Could anyone confirm the family resemblance of the dayton and audio nirvana drivers?
Old 6th January 2011, 06:21 PM   #18
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting one. The baskets aren't exactly the same -the Dayton has a circular frame where the ANs' are cut away in a quasi-square-cross-section a la Fostex &c. It's possible that they are made by a factory from the same group (in Taiwan IIRC). However, I suspect the Daytons may be better built / to tighter production tolerances. Whatever their other qualities, the AN drivers have been somewhat more variable in this regard judging from the measurements taken by some owners.

I'm increasingly liking the look of the Daytons. Ditto the new 8in Seas unit. Steve's modified P220 looks decent for what it is too.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th January 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 15th February 2011, 06:57 PM   #19
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Anybody tried the FRX yet?
Old 15th February 2011, 07:15 PM   #20
dr.fishbacher is offline dr.fishbacher  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I am also impatient to hear any news about FRX ?

New FRX OB driver from DecwareHide this!Advertise here!