Woden Dunideer Build Complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I meant was if Scott thought that the Alpair’s parameters would work with fine tuning of the topology of that design. I’m sure he’d be the first to say “please just don’t go stuffing any driver into any of my designs willy nilly and expect good results.” Depending in his mood at the moment, his language might be more graphic.:eek:

The A5.2 does work quite nicely in the FHLite, which are delightfully compact.

Re what I was thinking, they're not all that big. 57in tall, using the current Megalith series form factor (a la Maeshowe et al).

Since the 5.2 / current 5.3 (I'm obliged to design for current drivers, but they're interchangable with relatively little shift in alignment in this horn) are rather small, unfortunately I can only guarantee output flat to 50Hz when optimally loaded. Realistically speaking that's about the limit; we could get lower but frankly the size would be a bit silly for a 3in wideband driver. Obviously, there are certain limits to dynamic range & what you can do with the volume knob, but it should be reasonable within the context of small drive units.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Or something along the line of V-bomber series, such as Vampyr? Those were one of my favourites, actually.

blue-vampyr-V-comp.jpg

Of what we built, this box gets the most bass out of the FF105wk

For the A5.2/3 the box would be smaller (on the order of half the volume i would guess). Another metric you could use is the size differenc ebetween FH3 and FH-Lite. “Big” horns for the small drivers have typically been left aside as we have had some worries about pushing them too far (probably to some extent becasue some were able to turn the origianl A5/J6T “inside out”. But FH-Lite has proven to do so well we have been reconsidering that.

FH-family-photos.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I hav eenuff info to say that Castlerigg will be 144 x 1448 x (less than) 340mm (WxHxD), and should reach something like half an octave lower than FH-Lite with greater gain. But still, like the FH-Lite, you do not want to push them too hard. No one has yet turned any of the new ones inside out yet, and Mark has made sure that this is harder since Gen 1 (the arestors let you know when it is time to turn down the wick).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
email me if you would like to d a beta build. I have only started on the drawings (just enuff to get those dimensions — for 15mm, it will need 2 sheets). Can also be done with 12mm, but baffle would need to be doubled, or a supraBaffle to get sufficent thickness to do a proper rebate)

These will join Maeshow, Silbury, Brodgar, and Avebury in the Woden paid planset section.

Aside: I really do need to worlk on filling out the free design section.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.