Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

would fe206esr work in fe208e sigma enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2019, 02:29 PM   #41
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomJazzDance View Post
By the way, appreciate if you can clarify the differences between this 3 types of attenuators from Fostex:

https://www.fostexinternational.com/...ts/pdf/att.pdf

For what I understood, R80B and R82B are the same, the difference is that R80B can handle more power.
More or less. Fostex do not always provide a great deal of information about their products.

Quote:
What about the R100T? It can attenuate less dBs, but more precisely? and have a transformer inside will provide a better sound quality?
It's the nominally high-end attenuator. Some prefer transformers to resistors; technically it should be a superior adjustable solution but whether that translates into superior real world performance is open to question. Given the significant extra cost and the fact that it's only operating on a supertweeter (where human hearing acuity isn't particularly good) I wouldn't bother myself.
Old 21st August 2019, 02:38 PM   #42
FreedomJazzDance is offline FreedomJazzDance  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Thanks sir.
Old 21st August 2019, 08:37 PM   #43
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
It's the nominally high-end attenuator. Some prefer transformers to resistors; technically it should be a superior adjustable solution but whether that translates into superior real world performance is open to question. Given the significant extra cost and the fact that it's only operating on a supertweeter (where human hearing acuity isn't particularly good) I wouldn't bother myself.
FWIW, etc., IME such subtle improvements are lost on all but folks with either perfect pitch and/or at least have lived a life in low ambient noise areas. Had a relative that grew up in rural South Ga. visit me in the late '60s [Atlanta fringe near a freeway, malls, etc.] and his hearing was so keen he had to wear my wife's winter earmuffs after our Cocker Spaniel's toenails clicking on the kitchen's slate floor, quote: "drove ten penny nails through his head".

GM
Old 21st August 2019, 09:06 PM   #44
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Blimey. Now that's definitely going to fall into the 'acute' category. I'm guessing he hadn't spent much time near Magnum V8s then?
Old 21st August 2019, 10:09 PM   #45
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Requirement for sub(s) would be very much dependent on room size/speaker location and program material. Vital? - maybe not, but I've yet to heard a single driver/FR system that didn't benefit from highpass filtering - whether passive line level or "active" - and separately powered bass support.
Something like the basszilla is a proven design w FE208e∑ that adds woofers and tweeters.

dave
Old 21st August 2019, 10:24 PM   #46
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomJazzDance View Post
... is better crossover without the Lpad solution? and just try the Lpad
A single R in series works, but the filter would need adjustment for each R change. The other solution is 2 Rs in series with one end of the Tweeter. This is just an L-Pad with fixed Rs — one of the ways to figure out what size Rs, is to use a variable L-Pad and when right, measure the Rs on each leg.

And too confuse you even more let me throw this out… a thot experiment i do not know if anyone has tried yet.

would fe206esr work in fe208e sigma enclosure-fe207-ft17-xo-top-gif

The topology applies to the drivers you plan to use.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FE207-FT17-XO-top.gif (3.0 KB, 28 views)

would fe206esr work in fe208e sigma enclosureHide this!Advertise here!