Choice full-range drivers for Fostex BLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have these enclosures
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/206e_enclrev.pdf
What driver it is better to put?
1. Fostex 206E
2. Audio Nirvana Super 8
2. Hemptone FR8
3. Omega ALN8omega
4. Omega MQ8LBomega (Omega Speaker Systems - About > Aperiodic Ports)
or other?

Thanks

try them all and let us know? :)

My intuition is the Fostex or Audio Nirvana would be better BLH candidates from this list.

the price of $128 ea as my first result of Google search on Hemptone seems rather steep

IINM, Louis' Omega drivers are intended for vented or sealed alignment

no doubt there are other brands / models equally adept for this particular enclosure

I listened Omega Compact Hemp. Sounded perfectly well. It is impossible to put Omega MQ8LBomega drivers in this BLH?

The Omega family of drivers are OEM per Louis' specifications, and as you'll note from his website, most of his current enclosures are vented / aperiodic type alignments. I think this question would be best put directly to him:

marathonspeakers@juno.com

Hi,

for BLH, you need drivers with low QTS say less than 0.3 lower is better, so the FE206En has 0.19. Above 0.3 you want to avoid BLH.

another driver could be this one, but I have not tried it. (Qts=0.23)
DECWARE Full Range Driver DFR-8.

cheers
paba

Steve's mods to this driver (actually the previous FE206E) are more extensive than just a few painted dots, including some to suspension that must surely affect T/S parameters. While he posts extensive graphs, I'm not sure that revised simple T/S figures that hobbyists could plug into simulators figures have been published.

That's not meant to imply it wouldn't work very well in designs other than his own, just that I'm not sure if any such projects have been discussed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.