X_lin for Mark Audio drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I understand that there's no common method to determine the 'linear motion' -- or how this the linear limit should be defined. The cited article is an interesting read indeed and helps me to get an idea. Thank you for your time and the pointer. My reasoning behind the question was to get an idea of the X_usable of your drivers, because I'm looking into a DSP solution for near nearfield use. I have read the interesting post on http://lean-audio.blogspot.com which is very similar to my current idea (on the way to become a plan). But I'm looking into AP10 as you know instead of AP5 and just want to make sure that sound is not deteriorated when I equalize the bass and of course the driver does not break up under a "loud" bass attack. I put "loud" in quotes, because at a distance of about 70 cm to each speaker those are more like supersized headphones I guess ;) And last not least I only listen to moderate levels up to a somewhat higher "room loudness" and not a PA level :D

Best regards
Peter

Hi Mark,
I understand that there's no common method to determine the 'linear motion' -- or how this the linear limit should be defined. The cited article is an interesting read indeed and helps me to get an idea. Thank you for your time and the pointer. My reasoning behind the question was to get an idea of the X_usable of your drivers, because I'm looking into a DSP solution for near nearfield use. I have read the interesting post on http://lean-audio.blogspot.com which is very similar to my current idea (on the way to become a plan). But I'm looking into AP10 as you know instead of AP5 and just want to make sure that sound is not deteriorated when I equalize the bass and of course the driver does not break up under a "loud" bass attack. I put "loud" in quotes, because at a distance of about 70 cm to each speaker those are more like supersized headphones I guess ;) And last not least I only listen to moderate levels up to a somewhat higher "room loudness" and not a PA level :D
Best regards
Peter

Hi Peter,
Interesting possibility - nearfield application to Alpair 10's. Sitting physically close to a larger fulllranger, you're very unlikely to drive it hard enough to extend the Xmax into a non-linear zone. There should be enough extension within the driver's power-train to make use of active equalisation/frequency manipulation. Matsumoto san (Lean audio) has done very interesting nearfield work with Alpair 5 which has a shorter coil (less x) compared to Alpair 10.

At this stage, I'd suggest experimenting, confident in the knowledge that you're not likely to require much power. Recon on 2-mm for regular low range and 3-mm of X for peak bass delivery, that's fine for Alpair 10 Gen. 2. These X drive figures are on the generous side for nearfield, anything more you'll be at output levels that risk damaging your hearing given these short listening distances.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.