Has anybody tried different baffles for a Betsy full range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, does anybody in the full range forum have any experience with different baffles for the Wild Burro Betsy? I'm flip-flopping between building the folded baffle on the Wild Burro website & a fixed baffle design out there that is basically the dimension of the old Quad with a full range driver in it instead of the stats. Has anybody with Betsys or similar 8" full-ranger tried these? Thanks...

Hello all, does anybody in the full range forum have any experience with different baffles for the Wild Burro Betsy? I'm flip-flopping between building the folded baffle on the Wild Burro website & a fixed baffle design out there that is basically the dimension of the old Quad with a full range driver in it instead of the stats. Has anybody with Betsys or similar 8" full-ranger tried these? Thanks...

I'd make a plywood mounting plate for the driver and then use cardboard to give an approximation of the two baffles configurations. You should be able to get a pretty good idea which is more in line with your preferences.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ah yes, the famous JE Labs OB. I would say do that one, because the folding baffle puts the driver a bit too low (so being able to angle it back is nice for the ears, and perhaps you'll get a bit more bass as well with the driver closer to the floor?)

In my experience, the Betsy has a nice tone, and just worked out of the box for me. The Visaton B200 is an (expensive) upgrade but it led me down a frustrating path of too much tweaking, which is why I hold the Betsy in high regard in terms of bang for buck and simplicity. It just works :)

As was noted above, the JELabs open baffle is quite well known, in fact I have a pair myself. A couple of things to consider with construction of the JE OB:

1. Run a plate all the way across the top from one leg to the other, instead of the small piece shown in most of the diagrams. It will allow a bit more bass and will make the legs much stronger and steadier.

2. Route a much bigger hole than your chosen driver, perhaps 14 inches and then you can employ blank MDF, or better yet, plywood circles for making up adapter plates for any size drivers you may wish to use in the future. You can then join the small, but elite group of Open Baffle "Driver Rollers"!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.