Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Does anyone have an impedance curve of a Frugal horn mk3 or xl with any of the various drivers, can't recall ever seeing one in any of the threads.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the enclosure doesn't change the impedance... so the Frugel Horn's impedance curve is that of whatever driver you are using. I.e., just look up the impedance curve of the raw driver itself.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The horn has a significant effect on the impedance in the low frequencies. There should be twin peaks where the driver has one, and, depending on damping, you may see some bumps where higher order (unwanted) line resonances occur. I have not dragged any FHs down to my office. Also my current impedance tool is great for doing T/S matching but i haven't taken the time to figure out how to do a pretty impedance curve (my previous tool did gorgeous curves, but not as accurate at T/S)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It was -- in sims -- but trying to find one of Scott's sims from 6 years ago or so is not easy. A significant number of iterations were done for the FH2 (over a number of years), but then the new FE126 came out. From there (with a flash of creativity by Scott, and a builds by Chris) it only took 2 iterations (over a week) to get it to where it is now.

dave

FH3 impedance curve with Mark Audio Alpair 7P.

Attachments

• FH3MAA7P.png
    FH3MAA7P.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 514
Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

A noob question, would the FH3 support a 6.5 driver? I wanted to build a pair of speakers that can also be used for my home theater for watching movie. I have been reading article that most FH3s are fitted with 4.5 drivers.

If that's not possible. Would a 12" sub pair nicely with the FH3 for the lower octaves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just bought a Miniwatt APPJ mini2013 3W+3W. Just wondering if the FH3 would be something I can pair it with that little amp? I am thinking going Fostex or Tangbang or MA A7

I've been powering my original FH MK1 with Fostex drivers with the original MiniWatt for over 5 years. Tried a few different amps during that time but keep going back. It's a great combo. The Fostex drivers, even with eNable are just too harsh for my enjoyment with anything else. One of these days I'll get around to building the new plans.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A noob question, would the FH3 support a 6.5 driver?

No (hard to fit a 165mm driver into 140mm space). That is what Frugel-Horn XL is for.

If that's not possible. Would a 12" sub pair nicely with the FH3 for the lower octaves?

Depends on the sub… to blend well with a FR it would need response up to 500-1k Hz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you please turn off the Tapatalk advert?

dave