Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

I've found lots of options online, but I'll check around Brooklyn tomorrow while the glue dries. There has to be a carpet/flooring store somewhere that has it. In fact, I should check the shop that I bought the wood at 5 years ago.

In the meantime just having one fully built speaker is a tease. I started the glue up on the other tonight, and will have it all put together tomorrow, except for the tops. I can't do those until I have the wool, but I may leave them removable for now anyway.

I Googled "carpet underlay" and all the sites are either in the UK or AU. It must be a term you chaps use. I'll try "carpet padding" and I'll get the US sites! ;)

And since my speakers are made from wood flooring, it is only appropriate that I use a flooring underlay for this.

Go to a auto junkyard and you'll find plenty of the stuff under the carpets of 1990's Fords. I think mine came from an F-150 but the trunk of a Mustang looks like an even better donor site.

I had my first listen to the stereo pair today and was amazed. They have a delicacy that I never hear on my big main speakers. Bass was good, but I still need to completely seal them up. I also haven't had a chance to look for wool felt locally, so maybe I'll just order some. I have stuffing material but haven't done that yet either.

I'm waiting for everyone to leave the living room where they're set up so I can get a better listen.

I'll post pics when I am truly done, I still have some touch up work to make them look finished, but not much really. Mostly it is the edges of the panels on the top. The wood flooring does not have neat looking edges. I hid the side edges by chamfering the front and sides together, which worked pretty well. The plan is to use some leftover pieces and take the top hardwood layer and use it to hide the top. We're only talking about 3 strips of 5/8"x6.5"x1/8" material for each speaker.

Last edited:
This'll seem a silly question to the experienced, but better safe than sorry ...

We are just about to fit the Alpair 7 drivers. There are a pair of three components in the box, excluding the screws. Am I right in concluding that all three parts are on the outside of the cabinet? i.e. Gasket sticky side the the wood, then driver with the bezel (maybe not correct terminology) on the outside?

I understand that the gasket should be stuck to the rear of the driver bezel. If the secondary bezel is to be fitted and if the rebate is cut to take the secondary bezel, then it should be glued to the driver bezel. This is mentioned somewhere in this thread, try searching with epoxy and bezel for the relevant posts.
See you back in the other place......

Except for the first pair of 7.2s that came with secondary bezels attached from the factory, I don't use them - you gain a couple of mm IIFC . It may sound heretical, but after building more than a few pairs using 18mm plywood and rebating for flush with thinner frames, I'm convinced that there's enough core for Mark's supplied screws to securely mount the drivers without need to laminate extra material.

These drivers simply aren't that massive, and the total kinetic energy they generate is less than let's say an 18" THX certified sub woofer.

I'd be happy to see rigorous lab measurements disproving this hypothesis

actually, I'd probably blissfully ignore that at as well - so ya'll can save your googling for something really important - like WTF is going on with Kim and Kanye :D

So let's see just how OT I can get in a single post - do you think the husband who proclaims KK as the most beautiful women alive has a fudging clue who Malala Yousafzai is?

Last edited:
Could someone please clarify this? I couldn't find any discussion of this, but it seems like a messy solution - gluing the second bezel on with epoxy.

What's the additional bezel for anyway? Such things are usually to cover the screws to streamline the appearance, but these of course have holes in them.

I understand that the gasket should be stuck to the rear of the driver bezel. If the secondary bezel is to be fitted and if the rebate is cut to take the secondary bezel, then it should be glued to the driver bezel. This is mentioned somewhere in this thread, try searching with epoxy and bezel for the relevant posts.
See you back in the other place......