Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Hi Folks, I have just finished a pair FH3 with FE126en ...well almost finished...
I also tried a TA2020s, but the sound is horrible...
Second amp is a Sansui AU-217...rich warm sound! Perfect!
One day I will try my DIY MOSFET Power Amplifier No. 101 from Rod Elliott...
But with the Sansui I even have Phono amplification on board!
I threw out all caps last year and now I found the right speakers!
Great together play! Thanks to planet10 for sharing the FH3 to public...
Greetings!

Hi everybody. This is my first post. I am thinking of getting a flatpack pair of FH3s from Custom Cans in the UK. So far as I can find these are the only flatpack kits available in the UK. If anyone knows different, please let me know.

I posted this in a different thread yesterday. I thought I had posted it here!

My only concerns (at this stage) concern damping materials, quantities and adjustment. Custom Cans supply the necessary felt with their kits, so assuming this is OK it just remains for me to source the looser stuffing and then get it right. It seems that different materials are available in different countries so I'm particularly interested to know what materials other UK builders have used. I'm also a bit confused about how much to stuff in the V. I've looked at the diagram, but to be honest I don't really understand it. Any clarification would be much appreciated. I'll have more questions later. Thanks in advance.

Ifor

I used a customcans pack a couple of years ago but the delivery man took the felt away with the pallet/packaging (I wasn't there) so I had to get some from ebay. For the stuffing use this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Toy-S...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item19d8eda97b you can pack it or tease it out to vary the density. Stuffing them will be purely personal and depend on your driver choice, speaker placement, room characteristics, possibly what's driving them (does it have an edgy or mellow sound) and what your preference is (mellow or edgy again). Just have a play with them.

Mine are stuffed to the top of the back section, not too dense mind you, but have no damping below the driver. I might change that as I've added a subwoofer (FH£'s high passed at 80Hz and integrated with a DSP unit and room correction) and I'm playing around with that. Quite often I leave the sub off though.

The customcans flat pack is very well cut but my one criticism was that the front baffles weren't rebated so I had to scallop them by hand with a rasp - I think that's sorted now by the look of their ebay kits.

Good luck, I'll be keeping mine for a very long time.

EDIT - just saw the date of your post, I hope you got the information in time.

Last edited:
Had my custom cans FH3 delivered last week. Wood and cuts are all perfect. Clamped together with no glue just yet (couldn't contain my excitement to hear them).
Sound is amazing, but I haven't even begun to play around with stuffing and damping.
Any Advice at this point would be much appreciated!!
Mark Alpair 7 drivers

Had my custom cans FH3 delivered last week. Wood and cuts are all perfect. Clamped together with no glue just yet (couldn't contain my excitement to hear them).
Sound is amazing, but I haven't even begun to play around with stuffing and damping.
Any Advice at this point would be much appreciated!!
Mark Alpair 7 drivers
I collected a pair from Cheltenham a couple of weeks ago. They are a birthday present for my son, so build won't start until after the 11th and could be quite a bit later.
I'm still a bit confused about the stuffing. In the PDF there is orange in the V and green above the V, but I'm not sure whether the green area applies to the Alpair 7s.
Any info would be much appreciated.

I guess I'm committed now, I just ordered a pair of A7.3s.

I started my build last weekend, using the Kahrs flooring that I had left over from a few years ago. The finished layer on this stuff is really hard, it is meant to be walked on after all. I've been cutting the panels out the last 2 weekends. The sides are made from multiple strips "clicked" together, and a couple of other pieces are also put together this way, although the 8" width of the panels is conducive to using a single piece for all but the sides. Everything in this flooring is perfectly cut, as I can attest from how my floors turned out. Two pieces put together lay perfectly flat with absolutely no seam between them.

Here's a link to a pic of what I'm using:

Hardwood Floors: Kahrs Wood Flooring - Kahrs 3 Strip - Oak Nashville

If you're curious check the pricing, it isn't cheap. I certainly wouldn't buy this for a speaker project, but I have enough to make yet another pair, plus.

I'll post some pics when I start putting them together.

I wouldn't say either is 'better' per se. Damping materials all have somewhat different properties, but there's nothing magical about any of them, including sheep's wool. Either should do, although make sure if you buy Dacron that it's the hollow-fibre variety.
I can't work out from the eBay listing whether or not it's hollow fibre. Can you recommend a source?

Damn miter saw. After trimming some panels down to size, I can see that they aren't quite square. I check and sure enough the fence isn't square to the table or blade when clicked in at zero. Not off by a lot, but enough to leave gaps. I re-calibrated it and recut those pieces, most had only had one end cut anyway, just the internal pieces were fully at size and they're maybe a 16th off now. At the end of the day, my precision won't be that tight anyway, except the front where I want a seamless corner. I'm going to flush trim the side where they meet the front, then chamfer both so the front drops in. Since my wood is pre-finished, I can't really adjust once it is put together without ruining the finish.

Last edited: