Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

On request i can supply -- and have done -- DWG or DXF of any specific page. Do note that unless you have a 5-axis CNC, a CNC is only useful for doing the sides and the baffle rebates.

dave

Dave - Dustin is planning on using 3/4" Plyboo, which is a true 3/4" ( 19.05mm) - I've sketched out a nested pattern for CNC machining, which includes orientation of parts for grain pattern matching. It includes oversize cutting for final sizing of the 4 parts that each require the bevel to at least one end. (the only internal part that doesn't is highlight in turquoise)

There'll still be offcuts for cutting boards etc.

Attachments

• FH3-19.PDF
    8.5 KB · Views: 736
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lokely domething between the Soft & UltraSoft would be suitable, without some in my hand i couldn't tell you which would be most suitable.

I could mail out some traveling samples

Given what the stuff costs from McMaster you might as well just buy the UltraTouch cotton felt from Bob @ CSS ($10 for a 12" x 47.5" chunk... good for FH3 & a couple other projects.

dave

Dear fellow diy enthusiasts,
I'm under the spell of the vision of building a quadruple stack of frugel-horns, in the style of Ed Schilling's model 3. I will most probably attempt a build like this in a near future. I have a question about the slight backward tilt of the cabinets; if 'stacking' 2 frugel-horns up side down on top of 2 bottom horns, should the tilt be kept? Or is it a good idea to somehow compensate the tilt to make the cabinet front vertically aligned?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think i have posted this earlier... i'd for one, be VERY interested in seeing someone have a go at these. As can be deduced from the visualization i have preliminary plans already.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Quad-Frugel-Horn-3.gif
    Quad-Frugel-Horn-3.gif
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,339
Wow!! Dave, thanx for the fast reply and for posting your 3D plans! I will definitely have a go at building these, now that I've seen your plans. Awesome looking and intriguing! I have built Scott's Valiants with Fostex 126En and I am very satisfied with that design. But Ed's model 3 has got stuck in my mind. I see you put a wedge between the lower and upper horns. Elegant solution. I assume that a multiple build like this has been one of the considerations when designing the frugel-horn. Absolutely gorgeous looking speaker! So what drivers would you put in this beast?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I see you put a wedge between the lower and upper horns. Elegant solution.

Actually just lazy... the target was the 3D not the drawing, so what looks like a wedge is the 2 tops intersecting each other. In practise that would just be a dividing panel, and there would only be one thickness in the middle.

In theory you could get away with none of those internal partitions, but to my mind they go a long ways to ensuring structural rigidity.

dave

FH3 Build

I am about to build a pair of FH3 speakers using MarkAudio CHP-70 drivers. As always I like to document my projects in detail and make them available to others. I am not using rabbits on the first unit, in an attempt to simplify the design. The second will use rabbits and will require a router table. I expect it will take a month to complete the first FH3 and update the blog. I am in the process of cut plywood now.

Frugel Horn FH3 Build Step by Step