Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Lining question

Dave, Chrisb

Do I need to cover that empty spot (where the arrow is pointing at) in the pic?

Attachments

• FHmk3_lining.jpg
    FHmk3_lining.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,573
Thanks Dave.

BTW, I've gone for the removable baffle build - I made the cutout and removable baffle piece based on the pics from you and Chris had posted earlier. Let's see how it goes. :)

-Zia

Attachments

• proto-sB-comp.jpg
    proto-sB-comp.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,544
  • supracutout.jpg
    supracutout.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,581
  • FHmk3 removable baffle cutout.jpg
    FHmk3 removable baffle cutout.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,514
Is there a circular baffle that we should be looking at also? Is the reason for the extended baffle to help with phase or extend ??????? JP

As always, feel free to get creative with supra-baffles and report findings - but the arrangement pictured was intended a much as anything to accommodate drivers that would otherwise be tricky to install -

We designed our "kit" to allow for easy build with a minimum of tools / clamps etc - the front panel/driver baffle is inset (dadoed) into the side; any driver requiring cutouts approaching the 140mm internal would reduce the integrity of this piece, hence the wider plant-on baffle - which also allows for swapping out drivers of different dimensions and rebated cut-outs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FE126En Centre 1st pass

I finally snuck some time to do a 1st version of the promised 4L FE126En centre for those using FE126En FH3 in HT systems.

attachment.php

This does not go really low (almost reaches 100 Hz), but is as good as you can get in a BR without the shape of the roll-off becoming a bad joke (a reference to a comment Cal made about the factory 10L BR).

To follow to make materials sourcing more universal: 15/18mm and 5/8 3/4" can be done. Also 9.5mm (3/8") vents.

dave

Attachments

• FE126-centre-3D.gif
    FE126-centre-3D.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,975
  • FE126En-smallCentre-12mm-031111.pdf
    83.1 KB · Views: 170
OK, now I'm cooked. I've been following this thread on and off for a while and figured this would be my next build. I just bought a used pair of 126e drivers for not much money (check the swap meet board and you'll see it). I'm looking to use leftover material from prior projects if it is not in bad condition, but I'll spring for a 4x8 sheet if I have to. I have more tools than I did the last time I built speakers about 6-7 years ago (Proac 2.5 clones). I also have a digital camera now, in fact I've gone through a bunch, so I'll take pictures this time as I go. (7 years ago digital cameras were not yet ubiquitous).

i built my first pair with CHP70, but i will make another pair with Alpair 7. i asked Mark when and where to get the gen3 driver in germany (or elsewhere in europe), so he said end of december in this strassacker shop. thats ok with me, but how much difference will there be between the gen 1 and gen 3 versions? only difference in damping?

I am thinking about building the MkIII, but I have been bitten by the OB bug:D So before I start, I would like to get some opinions - how the does the sound FH MkIII compare with OB designs, I think I have read somewhere that the FHs are as close as one can get to open baffle using a "box" design approach...

Thanks,
Jaz

Well Jazbo, you have really asked a simple question. The simple answer is "it depends."

I've seen the Mk III, but would be interested in which Open Baffle speaker get's close to it sonically. The problem is that there are a lot of OB designs out there, but in the end the sonic signature is very room dependant.

Like any other design, OB's are a compromise (actually a lot of compromises) and what suits one room may not work well in another.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Well Jazbo, you have really asked a simple question. The simple answer is "it depends."

I've seen the Mk III, but would be interested in which Open Baffle speaker get's close to it sonically. The problem is that there are a lot of OB designs out there, but in the end the sonic signature is very room dependant.

Like any other design, OB's are a compromise (actually a lot of compromises) and what suits one room may not work well in another.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry,

Understood, I was just trying to get a sense if the MkIII would be able to provide the "open" or "no-box" characteristics that the OB designs are commonly known for, say in the same room. Again, just seeking opinions, as there can be no definitive answer given all the variables involved as you have rightfully pointed out. :p

Jaz

I made mine some time ago and have been listening now for a few months, previously to some Needles which I thought were very good. The FH3 is in a class of it's own, I've said this before and I can hear the groans but some people are new and may not have heard it.

A brilliant and beautiful design plus the MA drivers go together to make something that is far more than the sum of it's parts. One of those happy accidents that humans occasionally create.

Jim

It comes down to execution. One of the "boxiest speakers i have ever heard was an OB Iris 15".

Do a good build of the FH3 (using good mulyiply or better) and they do a really good job of disappearing

The way they energize the room will be different.

dave

When you say "multiply or better" does that mean I can use solid wood for construction of the cabinet? Thanks