Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Center channel speaker for Mk3 surrounds?

Thanks to the great minds on this forum, I've built four of these lovely puppies. Recently I tried them in a 5.1 system using one of my Tekton FE126E bookshelf speakers as the center. To say I was blown away by Dana Krall's "Live In Rio" Blu-ray is a total understatement.

If I had the space I'd build another FH Mk3 for the center but I'm very limited here as the TV is in a Queen Anne bedroom cabinet.

My space constraints for an enclosure are no taller than 7 inches, no deeper than 7 inches, and no longer than 30 inches. Should I consider a bass reflex design and could the FE126En be mounted in the center of the enclosure?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated by this newby to DIY.

As Dave has pointed out you certainly can build a speaker for the center channel. As I understand it, the center speaker is confined pretty much the vocal range to lock onto the dialog shown on screen, so the frequency response doesn't need to go any lower than 100-200 Hz to serve as intended. The use of the same driver will eliminate any discontinuities in the sound and should sound very good.

Best Regards,
TerryO

As Dave has pointed out you certainly can build a speaker for the center channel. As I understand it, the center speaker is confined pretty much the vocal range to lock onto the dialog shown on screen, so the frequency response doesn't need to go any lower than 100-200 Hz to serve as intended. The use of the same driver will eliminate any discontinuities in the sound and should sound very good.

Best Regards,
TerryO

And providing the Surround decoding (receiver/HTPC/processsor etc) has modern levels of calibration / XO filter settings, you can generally achieve a close to seamless tonal balance across the front row.

As mediocre as it sounds for music alone, I never ceased to be amazed at the sophistication of EQ and calibration built in to my $400 Denon AVR1610 receiver - plug in the mike and punch the Auto-Set up on Audyssey, go grab an adult beverage of your choice ( mountain plantation green tea is nice and relaxing) and you're done.

I'm using a Blu-ray with 5.1 analog outputs to decode DTS-HD for my non HDMI Panasonic XR55 digital receiver. The music videos are just stunning through these wonder horns.

I'm not missing out on two channel sound with the Mk3's as I'm using a Niles amp switcher on the rears and listen to them via a modded PlayStation and MiniWatt ( fits nicely under a night stand and the boss lady hardly knows they're there ).

She might have objected to four Frugal Horns in the bedroom had they not replaced larger stand mounted speakers. She still thinks watching HDTV requires a surround system.

Dave, might you be releasing your center speaker plans by fall?