Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

I'm finally done with all the panels. Now on to the driver and terminal cup cutouts. I have a circle jig for my router that should do it without much fuss. This is taking a lot longer than I thought it would as it was a lot of angles and curves, plus I decided to do a chamfer on the front so I have no exposed edges, and a dado for the back panel. It ended up doubling the time because of the precision needed (or my desire to have it perfect.) All this on pre-finished wood, so every mistake will show.

I didn't get a listen in today since I don't have the driver cutout. Hopefully tomorrow, and I'll start glueing so I can have a stereo pair. I don't have enough clamps to do both at once for a demo. The drivers aren't quite broken in yet anyway.

One question, for someone that has heard both: Which did you prefer, the FE126eN or the Alpair 7.3? I have the 7.3 breaking in, and my last build used the 126e in a foamcore small speaker. I just remember how the 126 just drew me in, but the 7.3 doesn't. Maybe it was the shout of the 126, or the added efficiency. I'll hold off final judgement until I have the cabs built. I'd like to put the 126 in the FH, but I'd have to wrest them from my daughter.

Last edited:
short answer

a7.3 + FH3 = synergy

period

longer answer

- after the initial infatuation with that which the 126 does well - dynamics/forward presentation, (you probably have your own descriptors) , I found the Alpair to be more fully satisfying - in several different enclosures

of course, both aforementioned have lengthy break-in periods, and it's probably safe to say each excel in opposite ends of the dynamics range - i.e. micro vs macro - I just have my own preference - but you did ask

glad you didn't ask about the FF85WK - fortunately(?) it's probably not really suited to the FH3 - that would call for some soul searching :eek:

Last edited:
The 126 were already broken in and the 7.3 are not, so maybe that's one difference. I'll just wait and see.

So what about the FF85WK? I still have 2 more builds pending, one for my office and one for a dorm room (twins, the 126 went to one, the other now wants a set.) I haven't picked a design for either.

that was rather mischievous of me, I guess :D

The 85 is probably my all time (or is it just current?) favorite FR driver not made by Mark - and it works very well in a wide range of applications - I've not tried them in the FH3 (yet) .

I personally find the 126E and 166E a bit fatiguing for a long session - definitely not the case with 4 of the WK series I have heard, the A7.3. or several other MA models.

I saw the Lance design in the foamcore thread, and it seems like an easy build with the 85. I wish they were a little less expensive, my wife is getting on my case about spending money on this. Madisound is out of stock in any case. And before I start anything else I need to finish the FH... I can smell wood glue in my near future...

HEllo, I just updated my FH3 Fostex 126en with some tweeters company unknown and ca.1,5uF on each side...Great outstanding performance!
:D

Attachments

• DSC09996.JPG
    DSC09996.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 389
I just put on one of the almost finished boxes of my FH3 pair, and I'm blown away. Now I have to glue together the other box, and finish them both. I have the other driver in my cardboard box, but I had to turn it up to keep up with full size cabinet.

One thing I'm having trouble with is finding 1/2" wool felt. I've tried auto supply stores but none of the local ones seem to have it. It's a big city I live so I'll find it somewhere. And how much should this cost? I've seen from $3/sq foot up to $20 online. That's a big variance. I suppose there are different qualities, but should I care?

I Googled "carpet underlay" and all the sites are either in the UK or AU. It must be a term you chaps use. I'll try "carpet padding" and I'll get the US sites! ;)

And since my speakers are made from wood flooring, it is only appropriate that I use a flooring underlay for this.

Last edited: