Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We typically use utility grade baltic birch. For higher end bilds we have been using bamboo plywood (the stranded variety being the best).We have yet to do a build that has required us to use the premium grade architectural plywoods.

Better downward dynamic range, better imaging/soundstage, less boxy speakers, and the ability of the speaker to become harder to locate (the ability to dissappear). Box design, shape, and other details play a interdependent role.

dave

I have started to make my MK3. As a boilermaker i see this a lot in drawings, Why don't the draftsmen put in a dimension instead of an angle. only 1 min extra work for the draftsmen that results in an easier and more correct build. Also the drawing would be easier to read if it had correct hidden detail on the baffle. I have to say that the info on marking the radius is good work!! Also Have to say a thanks to everyone who has contributed to the design on the speakers.

I had the CHR70's in my FH3 for about a week (25+ hours). Sounded good overall, except for a slight pronounced treble that sounded un-natural to me - depending on the material being played. Maybe this has something to do with metal cone.

This past weekend, I swapped the CHR's for the Tang Band W4-930SF. After a few hours of play, these sound real promising - even though not fully burned in. Played around with the stuffing below the driver to see what it could do. As of right now, no stuffing. Bass is good and blends quite nicely. Clarity and definition are excellent (as was most of the CHR). I really like this driver and it may stay in permanently. Some may not like it as it's only available in 6 ohms.

Some of my test music:

Edward Gerhard - Luna (CD rip)
Peppino D'Agostino - Close To The Heart (CD rip)

Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat (Vinyl rip)
Steely Dan - Gaucho (Vinyl rip)

Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour - Larry & Lee (CD rip)
Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound (CD rip)

Chick Corea - Beneath The Mask (CD rip)