Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2021, 10:53 AM   #1551
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It is mass loading. Period. Unfortunately, in this instance it's mass loading in the wrong place to avoid problems (I know, I looked at it out of interest a decade ago when I had an idle moment).

I'm not sure I follow the query regarding 'extending the horn section', since there are no horn sections in FH3; it's a tapped horn (aka chamberless horn or Voigt horn if you prefer) with a hypex expansion profile and a brief restriction at a fixed point along the expansion to provide a low-pass filter -a technique pioneered by Olson but often overlooked. The size of drive unit that can be used is limited by both its physical width, and the total horn size since most larger units tend to need a larger horn, especially if you're trying to take them low or you will simply end up with a chronic lack of gain. That was one of the problems in the original FH & the Buschorn it was based on.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 3rd February 2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 20th April 2021, 10:04 PM   #1552
alsyd is offline alsyd  Australia
diyAudio Member

Has anyone done an FHMK3 build using the Mark Audio MAOP 7 driver? I’m fairly satisfied with the Alpair 7MS, but hey... it’s the same mounting pattern... let’s chase the dragon if it’s easy!

I’m also interested in amplification options - my Yamaha A-S301 is totally overkill in terms of power and isn’t exactly what you’d consider high end... I do love it’s I/O configuration and remote capability though. Listening to other very good speakers and hearing the difference between amps has made me quite curious, especially if I was to move to the MAOP 7.
Old 21st April 2021, 12:30 AM   #1553
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.

I love the looks of the amp.

Heatsinks look like they could support a small class A… or add a pre-amp out for a start.

The whole thing costs about what an ACA kit does.

dave
Old 21st April 2021, 01:29 AM   #1554
bobberner is offline bobberner  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsyd View Post
Has anyone done an FHMK3 build using the Mark Audio MAOP 7 driver? Iím fairly satisfied with the Alpair 7MS, but hey... itís the same mounting pattern... letís chase the dragon if itís easy!

I sold a kit to someone in Brooklyn for the MAOP7 and he is very happy with them. But he really canít compare them to anything else. Unfortunately I wasnít able to listen to them.
Old 21st April 2021, 02:46 AM   #1555
alsyd is offline alsyd  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I love the looks of the amp.

Heatsinks look like they could support a small class A… or add a pre-amp out for a start.

The whole thing costs about what an ACA kit does.

dave
I love the look too! It's a great value option. One interesting thing I've found is using the 'direct' mode which skips the buffer amp/loudness/tone circuit sounds terrible. Loudness set at -15dB (out of flat to -30) and tone controls untouched is the sweet spot; sound gets kind of muddled and unbalanced either side.

Anyway, with my current level of understanding and exposure to how amps can effect sound this doesn't seem ideal and/or makes me feel like some performance is being left on the table, especially if I was to go to higher performance drivers. I am also curious to try the amp with other speakers to see if the same effect described above is reproducible. but I bought it to pair with the FHs which ended up being good for the price.

I also just think about this stuff constantly and am looking for excuses to upgrade (grey drivers would also look better with my cabinets)

Last edited by alsyd; 21st April 2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 21st April 2021, 04:13 PM   #1556
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Be sure to acquire a good stock of Dramamine before you jump on board the upgrade of the month carousel to chase the brass ring of audio nirvana - or is it actually more of a temporary state of satori?

I still remember quite fondly my Yammies from the mid Ď70s; CA1000/CT800 and CR1000 - more than sufficient power for Dahlquist DQ10 in my small room, and I always thought that variable loudness control was brilliant.
Old 21st April 2021, 06:01 PM   #1557
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsyd View Post
... this doesn't seem ideal and/or makes me feel like some performance is being left on the table...
There certainly is.

dave
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #1558
Fafikdog is offline Fafikdog  Poland
diyAudio Member

Question Small change in the project

Will change as presented in enclosed picture affect sound or only visual aspect?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bez łuku.JPG (30.6 KB, 38 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #1559
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, it will audibly effect tuning / load behaviour & sound. The curved back / termini is not cosmetic.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #1560
Fafikdog is offline Fafikdog  Poland
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot
  Reply to this post

Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build QuestionsHide this!Advertise here!