Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

The Blu Tak test

Twirled stringy and layed on the baffles, the side placed in position and then stood on;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Once there quite difficult to prise apart, I've got the speaker, yes just the one right in a corner, got a slightly boomy bass, so took it apart and filled the rest of it with pillow stuffing, lovely crisp bass now.

I have now got the sound I heard at Colins, the sound I never thought I would hear again after my first experience hearing a pair of Lowthers when I was nobbut a lad. Easy in every way that a speaker should reproduce music, with no audible effort.

Eileen said a Forte Piano sounded like any Piano through my other speakers and like a wooden one through the FH3. She went on to say that the difference was like comparing cheapo chocolate flavour to Thorntons delectable offerings. Standing outside a Thorntons shop and watching the women inside is an education, from 8 to 80 they behave with quiet reverence.

My thanks to all who have been involved in the design of these superb cabinets and to Mark Fenlon for designing the CHP-70's, truly wonderful drive units.

Jim

[snip]
I've got the speaker, yes just the one right in a corner, got a slightly boomy bass, so took it apart and filled the rest of it with pillow stuffing, lovely crisp bass now.

Jim -

Thanks for the pic! I am hoping to get started on a pair of FH's soon (got a few other honey-do's that need to be taken care of) and I've been wondering about the stuffing. When you said you "filled the rest of it with pillow stuffing," were you talking about the unfilled space down the front, between the driver and the bottom of the V?

Also, how much of the boominess you heard might have been due to being placed in the corner? Most of the pics I've seen of FH's have them out from the wall.

Anyone's comments on stuffing these would be much appreciated. And FWIW, I'm going to be using a pair of CSS EL70eN's from Dave. Thanks!

my 1st speaker build

started my frugal horn build ,i'll post some pics over the weekend

Copyoffrugal003.jpg

frugal002.jpg

frugal001.jpg

frugal004.jpg

Dear Drum,

I do mean the the unfilled space at the front I filled it right down to the bottom, I will spend the next few days listening to it and no doubt make more adjustments.

I listen in a small room I made at the back of our garage, it's 8Ft long and just about 7Ft wide, so the speakers do have to be in the corners to get a 5Ft triangle. Colin [Toppsy] whose FH3's I heard at his home were about 2Ft away from his walls and didn't need as much stuffing but certainly had the same crisp bass [well it was better but then he's got a pair of 300B's and I have a humble GainClone[I am going to make a Hiraga 'Le Monstre']]

It's the beauty of the design [said he being an expert after a couple of hours listening!!] that it can be 'tuned' to suit your own listening area.

That's why I posted the BluTak pic its may help someone to do the same.

You have a treat in store :)

Jim

Still going around in a daze after listening to just 1 FH3

Jim, you're the only true expert on what your ears hear (or more correctly, ear/brain interface perceives/remembers) - after all you've been using the same system all your life

must reading for all serious music listeners

Oliver Sacks - Musicophilia

Oliver Sacks, M.D., Physician, Author, Neurologist | Official Website | Musicophilia, Awakenings, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat

Daniel Levitin - This is Your Brain on Music, and more controversially, The World in Six Songs

Publications

we're still learning what's going on inside that little sack of jello we call the human brain

Australian flat packs are getting closer. I did a test run of my drawings on the CNC using 18mm MDF (it's cheap) which was almost perfect, a few minor changes and I can run some 18mm ply kits for sale.
I assembled the test ones which went together very easily, they have CHP-70s in them and sound fantastic, quite impressive bass for their size and very clear through the whole frequency range really.
I'll be building some samples with Alpair 7s and Tang Band W4-1337 but personally I prefer paper cones.

Not at all pretty in raw MDF
FH3sws.jpg

A Sneaky Peek

Dear TS,

I agree with your CHP preference and would like to say a couple of things.

Firstly there are lots of people looking at this thread, many of whom must surely have a sneaky feeling that there's something really good about this horn caper. There is. But they may not be in position to make a pair themselves, I would implore [yes!] them to buy a flat pack and can assure them that they will not be disappointed. Just go round with a silly grin on their faces for a week or two like I am.

Secondly, in about two weeks time I should have mine [with CHP-70's] up and runnning as a pair and would like to go on the list [if there is one] of people who would be prepared to invite anyone who wanted a sneaky [audio] peek [Antoine De Caunes] at mine. Bring your own amplifier.

Jim

Still gobsmacked at the sound today and boring everyone at the allotment with FH3 tales

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Secondly, in about two weeks time I should have mine [with CHP-70's] up and runnning as a pair and would like to go on the list [if there is one] of people who would be prepared to invite anyone who wanted a sneaky [audio] peek [Antoine De Caunes] at mine. Bring your own amplifier.

Jim, perhaps we should start a thread with such a list?

dave

Dear Dave,

I can only speak for myself and hope that others will feel the same, I have benefitted from the design and build skills of other people and would be delighted to demonstrate the FH3's to anyone interested.

If by doing that it results in a sale of a flat pack or a constructed cabinet then in a small way I will have helped pay something towards my use of the design.

If you wouldn't mind making a list then please put my name on it.

Warmest wishes - Jim

Dear Platplaas,

I have listened to my FH3 [mono] for about 4 hours now with the CHP-70 out of the box so hardly what you would call run in.

I don't feel as though anything is missing from the bass, quite the reverse actually and of course as the 70's get more flexible they will get better.

I'm delighted

Regards - Jim