Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Indeed they do.

Sounds like a plan. Here's another pair that have been done with that finish, albeit with a solid ash front baffle: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172605-frugel-horn-mk3-9.html#post2460567

I've seen those pics, I really like the look of them.

I did put that style past the wife, however she is more keen on the full gloss white paint finish compared to a combo or full timber veneer look. (part of the deal was letting her choose her preferred finish!) I'm happy with that, I reckon the white will look pretty good.

Getting closer to the finished product...

9mm marine ply front panel glued to the front so the driver now sits flush. Also gave them a paint of oil based undercoat in preparation for the final caots of gloss enamel.

5534425224_a46dfb24b8_z.jpg

Hi Paulwd,

Your speakers are looking good.
Just for information, when painting my FH3's I lightly rubbed down the paintwork with 320 grade production paper before the final coat, to reduce any brushmarks. I then applied the top coat with a small 4 inch roller which completely obscured any remaining brush marks and gave a pleasing 'orange peel' like finish.
I used oil based eggshell paint which is quite durable (tough), to better withstand the inevitable collisions with the vacuum cleaner.

Regards,
Graham

Hi Paulwd,

Your speakers are looking good.
Just for information, when painting my FH3's I lightly rubbed down the paintwork with 320 grade production paper before the final coat, to reduce any brushmarks. I then applied the top coat with a small 4 inch roller which completely obscured any remaining brush marks and gave a pleasing 'orange peel' like finish.
I used oil based eggshell paint which is quite durable (tough), to better withstand the inevitable collisions with the vacuum cleaner.

Regards,
Graham

yah, the new micro-fiber paint rollers leave a very subtle textured paint finish - if painting, I'd be inclined to use them for the primer / base coats as well

but I generally use a sprayed nitrocellulose lacquer finish

I like them... is that a pair of CHR sitting on the B&Ws waiting to be installed?

Will be very interested in comments vis-s-vis the B&Ws.

SE 300B or 2A3? The preamp?

dave
I do not have drivers yet. Just ordered Fostex 126 & 206.Also bought
hemp acoustic-FR8. Have to decide what to do for two 8"
On top B&W- Grado headphones and it is SE 300B integrated from China
Musical Paradise MP-428