Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Could the Hawthorne Silver Iris be used in a enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2010, 04:58 AM   #21
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had various Eminence coax including cast frame versions of 12"& 15" - there's tradeoffs
An externally hosted image should be here but it no longer works. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.
Old 1st September 2010, 05:37 AM   #22
theAnonymous1 is offline theAnonymous1  United States
diyAudio Member

It was so long ago now I forgot I had bought the 10" version after selling the 15's. I had hoped the 10" would play better with the CD but it didn't. Ended up selling those too.

They would probably sound much better with one of the good Radian CD's, but I wasn't willing to invest that kind of money in "probably".

Sorry, this is all OT anyway.
Old 1st September 2010, 05:26 PM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
......as my previous graph shows, the ASD1001S tweeter is operated strong down to 1K5 - - woofer is a bit rough on top - there may be some tweaks.

re:finicky = no - to me many speakers will have something which can subjectively tilt their balance from dead - to phat or neutral to dead and includes the vent size and position
Thanks for all the great measurements.

OK, much too high for a typical 15". Just because it's coincident doesn't mean one can ignore the basics of good speaker design.

OK, to my way of thinking/experience, an OB is the inverse of a horn/WG, so unless severely BW limited, it needs the same sort of attention to design detail which brings me back to what I postulated earlier WRT baffle size.

GM
Old 1st September 2010, 05:44 PM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

FWIW, there was early on a cooperative reconfiguration of the XO by a builder and the system designers to ameliorate some of the issues in the mid-range, but all accounts it remains pretty much a love 'em or leave 'em sort of thing ( the same could be said for a lot of my own speaker builds )

The 2 occasions on which I've heard a pair of the SI15 with the budget compression driver and updated XO didn't make me a fan, but then I didn't much care for the HD Super12, which was widely acclaimed as well

Last edited by chrisb; 1st September 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 1st September 2010, 08:26 PM   #25
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It too was my feeling that the gap between 15 & tweeter made the Silver Iris a non-starter. The 15" also has A LOT of resonances.

But some people love them....

dave
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:16 PM   #26
trondareo is offline trondareo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thank you every one. A lot of interesting curves and arguments that support what I am hearing. You have steeled my resolve. I sold mine yesterday and will start a Visaton 200-B project in stead!
Old 2nd September 2010, 06:00 PM   #27
serenechaos is offline serenechaos  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
But some people love them....
I've wondered why every time I've heard them as well.
Maybe just repeating the hype from the advertisement site/forum;
or haven't heard much else to compare to?
Or maybe different peoples tastes really are that different...

I really don't find any of the Hawthorne/re-labeled products anywhere near e.g. Altec 604, much less good Tannoy quality-- (which yes, I find colored, but really like).
Old 27th February 2014, 04:19 AM   #28
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Sorry about reviving an old thread.

Bit the bullet some years ago and got the Sterling silver iris 10".
They are very dusty from 2 years of storage. Really liked the Radian driver, ran it with some beta 15's from about 120hz down to 50 or so where my old 320 l (now scrapped) TH took over.

Have been contemplating stuffing it in a 60l sealed box for a while now, and possibly do some new xo for it, but then again I might just let it collect more dust until they can be used for something interesting.
Old 28th February 2014, 01:01 PM   #29
multitask is offline multitask  Denmark
diyAudio Member

you could possibly use them in a closed box with an active crossover and linkwitz tranform to change the woofers Q.
Linkwitz Transform | MiniDSP

as they come from hawthorne they are pretty much useless in my opinion. no waveguide, (high xover and bad dispersion) fullrange on the woofer with obvious breakup and distortion, and so on.
i honestly cant belive how these people still stay in business after a decade with no logical improvements to their designs at all.
the 15" PSI i had still gives me the shivers..

Last edited by multitask; 28th February 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 1st March 2014, 09:09 PM   #30
holdent is offline holdent  Canada
diyAudio Member

Usually when someone describes a speaker as giving you the "shivers" its a really good thing. Despite what multitask might try to say, I own the PSIs and really like them. In the right OB they're great. I suspect multitask didn't bother to optimize the baffle before giving up on them. I don't think they'll work in an enclosure unless its huge -- the Qts is too high.

Last edited by holdent; 1st March 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Could the Hawthorne Silver Iris be used in a enclosureHide this!Advertise here!