Frugel-Horn Mk3

OK that works too :D

I always like to try to "fire" down the longer dimension in any given room, and particularly with enclosures such as the FH with substantial rear radiation, to place them as symmetrically in respect to boundaries / corners as possible. . Of course that's not always practical

I think you're getting a combination of more corner loading on the left side, and when stacked back as shown, the curtains will be providing some damping - both of which are not happening on the right side.

Is that an open hallway behind the bookcase shown on the right hand side?
Any chance of moving it to the left, and relocating the "beverage cooler?" to the right hand side, or to be even more convenient, the cooler to the left hand side of the big couch?

Well... The bookcase is fully opened (DIY TNT style), and can't move just because one reason: it's called wife.

The cooler can be placed to the right, creating a fake 1m tall corner. The distance between each of the 2 FH3 would drop to 1.5m.

Cooler can't be fitted on the side of the couch. I would love that too. But again: wife. She likes the look of it, and we like to remember that there's some cold beers and white wines there, ready to rise the overall audio system quality. :D

Thanks for the tip. Will try it and post some pictures and review latter (or next week... I will travel tomorrow).

All I can say is WooooooooooW.

Received mine today :)

Seing as I bought these off eBay though they do have a few minor flaws.
One of the dust caps was pushed in slightly.

Also the bottom boards are lopsided, one side is longer than the other at the back, I'm not sure if the entire speaker is out of squaredness or not as I haven't inspected them close enough yet but at least they sound apsolutley amazing.

The guy who built them must've been in a hurry. Even one of the speaker terminals is lopsided.

At least the finish is decent enough, if it wasn't for the fact that the back board has no finish on it whatsoever.

He failed to mention this in the listing and took photos from the front, none of the back...

Also spelt Frugelhorn as Frugalhorn.

And charged me $450.... Not sure if I should file a claim or what! I'm certianly confused to say the least.

On one hand they're cheap on the other they're not finished. And on the other hand it would cost me a fair bit to get decently made ones.

There is also a few small drops of some substance on the driver that has a dust cap slightly pushed in.

Last edited:
Had a good gander at these speakers and it seems that everything is there in the right place, the boxes are in the right shape.

Was a bit put off by the lack of a declared finish on the back of them though, thought I was being sold a disaster for a while there.

Drivers are Fostex FE126En's

The bass response is truly incredible and the fidelity of the mid and highs are amazing. Dumbfounded how such a small driver in the right enclosure can produce such an array of sound and produce such a well detailed soundstage.

And at loud volumes too! With the lowest wattage amp that I have...

Time to run them through a barrage of tests to check for distortion etc.

Last edited:
You could always mask off the rest of the speaker & spray the back with textured stone-effect paint or similar. I've done this in the past (when I was still allowed to build boxes ;) ) & it doesn't look bad at all. I think Ed finishes the back of his Hornshoppe Horns this way, although I speak under correction.

I think I'll be sanding it back and starting again from scratch with a new stain.

I don't like the rosewood color that it has at the moment anyway. It looks and reminds me of the colour of Blood.

I'm probably going to go for a Dark black Walnut stain. ;)

Attachments

• Rosewood_430036_i0.png
    Rosewood_430036_i0.png
    173 bytes · Views: 333
  • walnutwood2.jpg
    walnutwood2.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
You could always mask off the rest of the speaker & spray the back with textured stone-effect paint or similar. I've done this in the past (when I was still allowed to build boxes ;) ) & it doesn't look bad at all. I think Ed finishes the back of his Hornshoppe Horns this way, although I speak under correction.

No, I think you are correct, and he's not the only one using Rustoleum Accents Stone Mineral Brown, plus Varathane satin polyurethane top coat.

It is rather a long process to lightly dust the required several coats for full coverage (too thick and it takes forever to dry) and it doesn't hurt to lay down a colored primer base coat

freax - got any photos of the actual speakers? refinishing can be a fun job if you don't know what the existing top coat is - i.e polyurethane, oil, varnish, lacquer, etc.

Last edited:
OK guys, I hate to interrupt your color coordination discussion but could someone please answer the question posed in #1329. How deep should the stuffing be allowed to go below the driver? Additionally, is there any concensus about the optimum amount of stuffing? I've done searches but found no conclusions other than "try 40gms and see what you think"
Thanks,
Charlie