Frugel-Horn Mk3

Hi all. Just a quick question for anyone that has built more speakers than me. Hopefully an answer will shorten my cycle of stuffing & un stuffing my frugel horn M3's. I loved the clarity & detail of the Fostex fe126's I was using but wanted to try the Apair 7.3's. I already had wadding in the back chamber & added a couple of handfuls to the front as I'd read to somewhere. They sound great, except on certain male vocals. There is a touch of resonance, almost like a bit of bass boom. Not sure what the right description is. Anyway, do I add more stuffing or remove some? They are fully run in & these are my first proper listening sessions & if I start in the righ direction, I might not spend all weekend doing this & get some more listening. Thanks

I put some finishing on my first pair. I think they look sexy:p
Now another pair for my dad, and then a totally fresh project. I'm thinking about needles for Visaton FRS8 or something similar. Maybe even try to come up with my own design and play with it for a while... Should be a good learning experience. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20150228_174043.jpg
    IMG_20150228_174043.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 419
thanks mike. that's encouraging. I hope these work out. I'll get a pair of 7.3 and cross my fingers.

The Alp 7.3 sound very nice with the FH3.

Just FYI, the Alp 7.3 frame size is different - you'll have to modify the mounting hole you made for the CHP-70.2, or use a supra-baffle. The MA CHR-70.3 should have plenty of top end and has the same frame size as that of the CHP-70.2, but from what I read from the forums (and from my own experience with CHR-70.2), the Alpair 7.3 is a better sounding driver.

Last edited:
still not happy with these chp-70's. lower end and imaging are great, but vocals and highs are terrible. I have stuffed and unstuffed added phase plugs all with small improvements but they still don't come close to my ziggys. did I just plain pick the wrong driver? These are just so dull and lifeless.

My experience is very limited, and I don't have the chp-70's to compare directly to. However, I built some Frugal Horns with the Fostex FF105wk driver. I built the Mark Audio Alpair 10a into a Pensil and a bookshelf. I also found them dull compared to the Fostex. They lost the air and detail. The FF105wk sounds awesome in the FH enclosure. I'm not sure how much of what I'm hearing is due to the size of the MA drivers vs the smaller Fostex drivers, or equipment, or what, but the Fostex's just sing. Clearly they have less midrange and low end than the MA drivers, but the air and detail they deliver is just amazing.

Next I'm going to experiment with the Tang Band W8-1808 in a FAST free air setup and see how that sounds. Mind you, not because I find the FH lacking in any way, just because it's something else to play with.

As an experiment, you could make a plate and mount the drivers from your Ziggies on it, then clamp it to the front of the FH just to see how that sounds compared to the MA driver. Not ideal, but nearly free and simple.

jj / cooper customs - a couple of thoughts:

- the WK series is quite an improvement over the previous FEnn7 that they replaced, and IMO the 85 / 105 share the "goldilocks" spot - I have a slight preference for the 85, with appropriate woofer support when not used in a near- field application

- it's not news that the CHP70, or at least the newer version available here, definitely has a substantial deficit in the top 2 octaves that neither any of the Fostex, or in my experience, any of the latest generation of Alpairs demonstrate

FWIW, rather like the CHN70, I believe that the CHP's tonal balance was in direct response to requests by a certain market demographic

Last edited: