Frugel-Horn Mk3

I started experimenting with the poly-fil today. The more I added, the bass seemed to be reduced. So I started removing a little at a time until none was left. The V is still filled though. Now I'm even more satisfied with the bass. So stoked to hear as a set. Started thinking about a supraBaffle. That's a great idea Dave. May add it later. I'll still mod the second cab for the W4 without it for now though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I started experimenting with the poly-fil today. The more I added, the bass seemed to be reduced. So I started removing a little at a time until none was left. The V is still filled though. Now I'm even more satisfied with the bass. So stoked to hear as a set. Started thinking about a supraBaffle. That's a great idea Dave. May add it later. I'll still mod the second cab for the W4 without it for now though.

That's exactly how it is supposed to work :^)

I know when we did the A7 with only yhe V damped, bass was solid & tuneful but a bit too much. I figured some people would find that option just right.

One of the reasons i love this box is that with different drivers & different damping it is a real cameleon

dave

Attachments

• cameleon.jpg
    cameleon.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 715
Chameleon is a great analogy. This is the part I love about building cabinets. Fine tuning them. Having built 14 horn loaded/folded horn P.A. cabs, this is a new animal for me. For them I tune with a DCX2496 crossover and delay. Of course placement (wall loading, corner loading for low end) is identical. My subs are only 12". They'll easily hang with most front loaded 18" subs. Small drivers with big sound fascinate me. That's why I'm here. Thanks for a great design!

I found with tuning? That if i have poly fill in the front, bass goes away, but if i remove it, the bass is wood sounding, coloring male vocals with a boomy sound. I think if i had thicker sidewall matting, it would improve this while still allowing for an air passage to the bottom port.

which driver, and how many hours of "break-in" ? the required amount of fill immediately behind and below it does vary and is subject to "fine tuning"

are the boxes permanently buttoned up? if so, interior access to add /adjust sidewall matting or rear cavity fill is rather a bitch

Thats with the Fe126en, FH mk3, with about 100 hours of normal use. I currently have pillow stuffing (about 2 big hand fulls) lightly stuffed down the front. On top of that i covered every inch with 1/4" felt before assembling. I found positioning in the corners helped to reinforce bass, without being boomy. But nothing much below 70hz exists. I use them with a very fast sub, so its okay. On a side note, my enclosures ended up being 1/2" less wide because i hard to straighten what a bad table saw screwed up. Will this effect the sound very much? BTW, just wanted to say thanks for the design Dave!

But nothing much below 70hz exists.

That's my general impression with the Fostex FE126 and why I always recommend the MA drivers for any my flat pack kit sales clients who ask for recommendations.
And as both Dave and Chrisb have said the fostex doesn't need any damping below the driver this would kill the little bass capoable from this driver and really needs to be corner loaded to get anywhere near the bass of any the MA drivers. None of the MA require corner loading to give good bass in the FH3.

Well that's my experience anyway with around a dozen builds of this speaker design.

I considered the Mark Audio drivers, but I'm using a 10watt SET amp (Elite 40SE) and needed effiency. I'm curious dave, depite the Frugal Horn MK1 being more complex than the MK3, did the longer horn passage help with the FE126en bass extension, compared to the MK3?
I think my next build will be a 8" fullrange bass reflex.

Crowe: a 10W amp should give a very nice bass response with an alpair 7 - I used with with my EL84 amp putting out about 6 or 7 W....

ditto that re the Mark Audio drivers - Alpair7, CSS EL70 / CHP70 won't break the windows or your ears, and for some folks any amount of supporting power and drivers of this size will lack visceral impact of a 12 or 15" woofer

still, there are listeners for whom the FE126 in this enclosure works quite well in their application, and appreciate the "personality" of its presentation