Frugel-Horn Mk3

"With these plans, one sled and two templates, one can come pretty close to the accuracy of the CNC created cabinets."
Wow! Thank You for post your detailed plans and pictures. Your speakers look beautiful.
Did you cut the 45 degree lock miter on the front vertical edges with the table saw or did you use the router/shaper?
Thanks again.
Tim

Well a simple bevel could be cut any number of ways, including a table saw, but a true "lock miter" would require a router table/ shaper set-up, or CNC.

Driver Choice

I am about to build two FH-MK3. I mostly listen to classical and organ music, but also vocals, popular, band, etc. What do the following drivers sound like musically in the FH-MK3: CPR-70.3, FE126En and the Tang W5-1611? If you were to select a driver what would you chose?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I
What do the following drivers sound like musically in the FH-MK3: CPR-70.3, FE126En and the Tang W5-1611? If you were to select a driver what would you chose?

Of those 3 i would choose FE126 as i find the TB somewhat plasticy sounding (if i can get rid of that when i treat, it would score higher, they do bass better than the others), and i find the CHR tipped up at the top.

If i had the power (i assume i do since CHR is in the list) i'd choose Alpair7 or EL70 (or 1st gen CHP).

We have 2 more driver trials in the queue, the new CSS VWR126x and the TB W4 with the ugly phase plugs.

One of the beauties of the FH3 is its ability to change its personality with different drivers, we can offer our personal preferences, but in the end it is only your preferences that matter.

dave

I haven't read any posts about using the Tang Band W4-1879 driver in a Frugel Horn. These drivers are $60 each now at Parts Express. With the price right and a freq. response of 55-20K my curiosity was killing me. So I bought a set. I have one FH3 completed (less paint). I had to cut away a little over 6mm into the panel behind the driver to make room for its depth. Well worth the effort! The sound is absolutely amazing! I'm really excited to complete the other enclosure to hear the set together.
A friend of mine flew in this week. He could not believe what he was hearing. He told me, had I just told him over the phone, that a 4 inch driver was putting out this much sound (i.e. bass), he would not have believed it. He could feel the couch cushions vibrating! Clear highs, not fatiguing. Natural and smooth mids. So, if we can get past the ugly (my wife and I like it) phase plug. I have to say they are well worth a listen.
A few posts back I was trying to get info on my Dimension 4 drivers. I never found anything on them but I did mount one. I was also impressed with it. But it didn't quite have the low end I'd hoped for. Also, them being 25 years old was a concern. Sorry to be long winded but I wanted to give my review of the TB W4.

Here's a photo of the TB W4-1879 mounted in the FH3. The cabinet will be painted gloss black when finished.

Attachments

• Image_3.jpg
    Image_3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 722
Thanks Scott. Dave, I'll be very interested in hearing your take on these. Mainly because I've never heard any of these other drivers. And I don't have any tubes to run through. Just a Yamaha amp. A review from a pro will be cool.
Dynablastertuners, we have family in Russia. When they visit, they always seem to be excited to go shopping. Prices over there are higher also. For awhile I thought they just enjoyed coming here for my charm. lol

Jon

Last edited: