Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Frugel-Horn Mk3
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2021, 08:18 AM   #1831
ho66es is offline ho66es  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

works fine in chrome here ?
Old 16th April 2021, 02:47 PM   #1832
CosItsOneLouder is offline CosItsOneLouder  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can anyone advise if these driver specs would be suitable for the FH3 (the Fs is a little higher and VAS a little lower than the usual suspects).

Fs 98Hz
Qe 0.79
Qm 4.0
Qt 0.66
Cms 0.326 mm/N
Vas 2.14l
Mms 8.1g
Sd 69.7cm^2

I appreciate the design is pretty flexible, but most drivers used are lighter with softer suspension. These are some BMR drivers I have sat idle and wondered about making some MDF dust. Would they give me a realistic idea of what the Frugalhorn design is capable of or just not really work?
Old 16th April 2021, 03:30 PM   #1833
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
The horn dominates the bass extention, the highish Q will compensate at least a bit for the highish Fs. That number is actually closer to what is put in FH-Lite.

Try it. It will probably work. Getting the damping right could be a bit tricky.

dave
Old 16th April 2021, 04:10 PM   #1834
CosItsOneLouder is offline CosItsOneLouder  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

They would just squeeze into the FH-lite baffle I reckon and the motors are tiny neo affairs.
Old 16th April 2021, 04:16 PM   #1835
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
The Vas is also much closer to the 3’ used in the FH-Lite so it may well be a better match.

dave
Old 16th April 2021, 04:29 PM   #1836
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Keep in mind a supraBaffle can help to fitting a largish driver in a smallish FH.

dave
Old 16th April 2021, 06:57 PM   #1837
vitorio is offline vitorio  Spain
diyAudio Member

FH Lite are very nice speakers. Small and cute, with better bass than any can expect.
I would try it.
Old 23rd April 2021, 02:04 AM   #1838
canonken is offline canonken  United States
diyAudio Member

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Hi, lots of great info here. I started another thread that would best be picked up here.

I have a pair of these (with the non-upgraded) drivers. They were a fun build, and sound great with anything vocal. However, always looking for the 'next thing':

Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn Kit - Pair

Would I be 'wasting my time' to just get the FH3 vs. going for the XL (with the main goal of getting more and lower bass...within reason, I know these are not bass crushers)? Or will the FH3 with a Markaudio driver give me a big step up in terms of bass compared to the build I have?

Also, what would be the 'best' driver to use (best for me meaning I am willing to trade a little refinement for some more bass)? Is the new 7 MS appropriate for the FH3?

Have an assortment of amps, ACA, Decware UFO2, McIntosh MC275, etc. so plenty of play with there and some nice clean, quality power.

Thanks!

Last edited by canonken; 23rd April 2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 23rd April 2021, 03:59 AM   #1839
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonken View Post
Would I be 'wasting my time' to just get the FH3 vs. going for the XL (with the main goal of getting more and lower bass...within reason, I know these are not bass crushers)? Or will the FH3 with a Markaudio driver give me a big step up in terms of bass compared to the build I have?
You'll get some really nice bass from FH3s depending on the driver used, but they won't play as loud as the X's, for obvious reasons. If you have a good sized listening room, and want to crank it up, you'll definitely want the the bigger speakers.

jeff
Old 23rd April 2021, 04:44 AM   #1840
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Frugel-Horn Mk3
Scott designed the BK-12m to fit a specific set of design goals, the over-riding one that it look much like th eBK-16/BK20 (more than 2 decade old designs predating really good modelers).

The FH3 had some sixe restraints, and is not as fine tuned as far as drivers go, but it is really good with drivers within a certain parameter set. The FE126 in your BK12 also works but one has to take maximum advantage of room loading to get reasonable bass.

FH3, even with the drivers you have already, will be better, and with a suitable driver (examples Alpair7.3/7ms/Pluvia 7HD) bass improves, extension improves, even better midrange magic, and a smoother top. A significant improvement expressedny most.

FHXL will play louder, go a bit lower, but usually at the expense of a bit of mid/top extention/dispersion and most importantly detail/DDR when referenced to the smaller drivers. But to exploit that last difference, say between A7.3 and A10.3 since they are very very similar voicing, the stuff in front (source/amp) has to reach a certain level of detail/DDR themselves. And the listener has to value those particualr attributes over that exra bottom, dynamics and potentially greater level.

The FE126 (all FExx6) really want to be driven by a high Rout amplifier. The Mark Audios, in particular, are much more maplifier agnostic. And differences with the damping at the bottom that is provided by the amplifier can be countered by adding more (high Rout amplifier) or less (low Rout amplifier).

dave

Frugel-Horn Mk3Hide this!Advertise here!