diyAudio

diyAudio (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   Full Range (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Frugel-Horn Mk3 (https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/172605-frugel-horn-mk3.html)

zacster 5th February 2015 02:55 AM

If you are ever in the NYC area you can come hear mine.

Poultrygeist 5th February 2015 10:16 AM

I'm 3.5 hours away in Columbia, SC but that's probably too far.

katariat 5th February 2015 12:54 PM

thanks guys, hopefully i will find some one close. In the near future if i am heading over in those directions, i will definitely ping one of you. Appreciate it a lot. thanks

nbriles2000 6th February 2015 03:51 PM

I know this isn't most people's cup of tea, but does anyone use these for metal? I'm thinking of building a pair, but I have also heard that single, small full range drivers don't generally handle metal well. Was gonna go with the CHP 70

chrisb 6th February 2015 05:27 PM

If you can possibly afford the physical footprint, I'd suggest that the FHXL an A10.3 would be a better bet for metal - but if constrained in space / budget, the CHN70 would be worth a try.

nbriles2000 6th February 2015 05:40 PM

Unfortunately I have neither the space nor the money for that build! This will be paired with a Magnavox 9304, yaqin ms12b and an AR XA. I'm just hoping this set up will be dynamic enough to keep up with much more energetic music

chrisb 6th February 2015 05:57 PM

Not being familiar with all genres of "metal" - brief exposure to Metallica / Tool during my son's late teens was about it - I think either the CHN70 or A7P's upper mids and top end might better serve the program material - the current CHP I find a bit soft / dry above around 3-5? K .

zman01 6th February 2015 06:04 PM

nbriles2000, from my experience single full-range/wideband driver speakers don't do metal very well. At lower SPL maybe ok, but not a very dynamic sound. Cone size matters and the speaker needs to deliver in the 60-200 Hz range. FR units can go lower in bass, but typically don't deliver the slam or "energy". My guess is that a four driver/cabinet Microtowers type of speaker with CHN-70 might be able to do a better job, but this is untested. 2 way systems for metal are smaller, cheaper, simpler to build.

nbriles2000 6th February 2015 07:17 PM

This seems relatively consistent with some of the other things I've seen.
Can you offer any alternative suggestions?

chrisb 6th February 2015 07:28 PM

There are a few stock questions I like to pose in such situations, a couple of of which you've already answered:

1) Venue / application - i.e. room size, and for music only, or combined with HT / movie playback
2) Type of program material / listening levels
3) Available power

What are the characteristics of systems have you heard perform this type of material to your satisfaction?

While a "FAST" type 2 way might be more than capable,, it could well be that a single driver FR system of any type wouldn't quite make it sing for you.