Frugel-Horn Mk3

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I may just give this a go anyway, but have you had any luck trying the FH3 with the FE127EN?

Be easy enough to try. Given that the FH Mk3 works with the Mark Audios there is a good chance that it will be fine. At least 1 pr of successful Mk1s were made with FE127 and Mk3 is more versatile.

Poke me if i don't get back... i've got to pull the A7 out of our prototypes to put in the Pensils, i have a set of FE127eN waiting for a box.

dave

Congrats on the newborns.

I realize that the drivers are hardly broken in and that you have had little time with them. But, how would your characterize the difference between the Fostex FE126en drivers and the Aurasound NS4-255-8A? The cone material and other parameters are different. What do you contemplate doing with the Aura's after your experiment? Has this got you thinking about what sort of cabinet they would do well in? Was it just the price and serendipity that you got your FE126en's and they were there or did you contemplate using them in this cabinet as well. Inquiring minds gotta know.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Congrats on the newborns.

I realize that the drivers are hardly broken in and that you have had little time with them. But, how would your characterize the difference between the Fostex FE126en drivers and the Aurasound NS4-255-8A?

With about 15 hours on the Auras, we found that they had good bass, but the mid-range and highs were lacking. Even my wife's dog noticed the difference between the two, we broke in the Fostek's mostly on the DYI channel and her Pomeranian would bark at the TV on certain scenes, not so with the Auras.

The cone material and other parameters are different. What do you contemplate doing with the Aura's after your experiment? Has this got you thinking about what sort of cabinet they would do well in?

I'll try the recommended 0.1 cubic foot sealed box and replace my old radio shack speakers in the garage.

Was it just the price and serendipity that you got your FE126en's and they were there or did you contemplate using them in this cabinet as well. Inquiring minds gotta know.

I was looking for an efficient speaker for a 8-watt tube amp I want to build.:D

Well that is very helpful and I thank you.

If the low end is pronounced in this horn then it makes sense then to try them in a sealed box. But in a 0.1 cubic foot sealed box this Aura has an F3 of 150Hz. That is better than a transistor radio for the garage... Though, as I think about my need in a consumer Onkyo 5.1 home theater I can easily whoop up on the bottom with the powered subwoofer. Correct me if I am wrong, but the driver will have more control and hopefully better mids in a sealed box.

It doesn't go over 15kHz in any event, which would not interest your pooch. I may go dumpster diving for some helper tweets. I have to remind myself that the content has been mixed for cheap home theater and that I have other systems for the "audiophile" recordings. This is a system for the TV and game systems. Maybe this thread should separate. Please consider sharing your Aura Garage Build as a separate thread. I bet Madisound is selling a blue-gillion of these funny whizzer "full range" drivers.

I wonder what the original intention was for this puppy. It is too big for a flat screen TV. It doesn't look like it was built for a car. Likely built for your garage.

Do share how they turn out. Mine will be here when I am out of town and I won't get a chance to play with them until the New Year.

Bruce

I've bought myself a pair of Markaudio CHP-70's from Blue Planet Acoustic for the equivalent of only 72 USD including shipping. These are the European version with the black frame and yes, that price is for a pair, as they're on sale.

I have very little experience with DIY loudspeakers. I made a pair of sealed enclosures with Philips full-rangers as a teenager, so these would be the first loudspeakers I've built in over thirty years :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting these into Frugel-Horns Mk3 and I've read the Frugel-Horn threads with interest, but haven't seen any mention of a baffle step correction/compensation circuit. Is it necessary or will the horn loading be enough?

If not, can I simply use a BSC calculator to determine the circuit or is there a more arcane method?

Regards,

MAW61