Frugel-Horn Mk3

Chris, are you referring to a BIB with FE108ESigmas or that you heard a pair of FH3s with the FE108ESigmas in?
I was just going to ask why nobody mentioned the 108ESigmas, being that the parameters fit in the ballpark...

Gaston

the former - an inverted pair built by DaveCan - I think he's still using them, now with a pair of powered subs

for me at least, the Sigmas' price and limited LF performance compared to the much cheaper FE126En explains the why not

having heard both in identical cabinets ( stretched Buschhorn MKI ), the 126 is far more dynamic and extended at both ends of the range, but IMHO sacrifices some degree of delicacy and "finer grained" resolution of textures in (I'm guessing) the 300-8K range. (there's "magik" in them there pleats?)

the former - an inverted pair built by DaveCan - I think he's still using them, now with a pair of powered subs

Here's a link to how they are being used now etc.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/167291-fostex-fe108-esigma-ob-s-6.html

I cut them back to spec, added some solid spruce 2''x6'' baffle sides to them, and they are non-inverted and firing upwards now on top of MJK's 18'' Goldwood H-Frames, angled down towards the listening position via rubber door stops lol.
Sounds pretty good:cool:

Last edited:
I'm considering doing my first DIY project and the Frugal Horn is a very tempting place to start.

My question (please forgive me if it has been asked before) is whether the FH can be built using a Fostex FE206En 8" driver....

Nope - this design is targeted for nominally 3-4" drivers; and since we've built the alpha pair, is known to work quite well is FE126E ( as well as several Mark Audio models)

I'm not certain as to how many "beta" builds have been undertaken or completed, or with which drivers.

As Scott may have already said, the overall topology could probably work for larger drivers, but would require complete reworking of the maths.

Welcome Everybody!

Completed the two boxes, a very nice voice. I will also send a picture if the paving is completed. The rear intake guard is not a recommendation to someone? A little extra bass would be good. Godolkodom of that same system is used to produce the FE167E hagszórókhoz too? Sincerely Brebó

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Almost have my frugal-horns finished, built them for the Fostex FE126en drivers, but will be trying out the Aurasound NS4-255-8A. They were on sale at Madisound for $3.90 each.

How much stuffing should I use, I bought a 1lb. bag of Acousta-Stuf Polyfill.
I that going to be enough? I also have the 1/2" cotton felt.