Frugel-Horn Mk3

A removable baffle is a good idea.
Bear in mind that Frugel-Horn Mk3 was designed for 4" drivers. I've tested several from 4" to 6" and it works but do not get better bass extension from bigger drivers.

If your interest is the 6" drivers maybe check FHXL or Joan.

A 5" driver which works well is Monacor SPH-60X. Fun for rock and movies, good bass extension to 40-50Hz. Not as refined as Markaudios but better sensitivity. Price is higher than it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
So far I've used three different drivers in two pair of FH Mk3s and liked them all. For years I enjoyed the Fostex Fe126En in one pair and in a second pair I used a pair of Coral Holey Baskets with alnico motors. Both of those drivers are fairly efficient and sounded excellent with flea watt SET amps. Recently I swapped the Fostexs in one pair for Mark Audio drivers which are less efficient so they required my more powerful class d amp ( Volt+D ). My favorites are the Mark Audio and CHB. Of those two it's a draw depending upon which amp I use. Without removing a copper colored Mark Audio driver from it's enclosure I can't say which model it is.

I wonder how the Pearl Acoustics Siblelius with MA drivers which cost thousands compares to Frugal Horns?

Reactions: 1 user
A removable baffle is a good idea.
Bear in mind that FrugelHorn mk3 was designed for 4" drivers. I've tested several from 4" to 6" and it works but do not get better bass extension from bigger drivers.

If your interest is the 6" drivers maybe check FHXL or Joan.

A 5" driver which works well is Monacor SPH-60X. Fun for rock and movies, good bass extension to 40-50Hz. Not as refined as Markaudios but better sensitivity. Price is higher than it was.
I'm initially going with Audio Labs DQ40S, I also have a pair of Mark Audio CHN-110. But they really need a FHXL. I'm also getting a pair of MA PHD70s or HD70s. Not sure which of the two is best.

Markaudio Pluvia 7HD works perfectly in FH mk3. Good bass, extended treble without sibilance: very nice. Good price too.

Alpair 7MS is better sounding than Pluvia 7HD but difference is not big. I've used both.

I don't know what is phd70s. If you refer to Pluvia 7 PHD, i used it and don't like it. Extrange driver, too much mids without real treble.

I'm initially going with Audio Labs DQ40S

I've used this one.
Inferior to any Markaudio. It works fine on FHmk3. I don't know if it's worth at 20€/each.

GHXAMP 4"

001.gif

Reactions: 1 user
???

CHN-110 works in Joan can squeeze (nicely) into FHXL

dave

Markaudio Pluvia 7HD works perfectly in FH mk3. Good bass, extended treble without sibilance: very nice. Good price too.

Alpair 7MS is better sounding than Pluvia 7HD but difference is not big. I've used both.

I don't know what is phd70s. If you refer to Pluvia 7 PHD, i used it and don't like it. Extrange driver, too much mids without real treble.

Sorry, yes I meant the Pluvia 7 PHD. So going by your reply the Pluvia 70HD would be the best bet Vitorio. Dave I have an FH3 kit on its way as I cant physically fit a bigger version in my room.

So far I've used three different drivers in two pair of FH Mk3s and liked them all. For years I enjoyed the Fostex Fe126En in one pair and in a second pair I used a pair of Coral Holey Baskets with alnico motors. Both of those drivers are fairly efficient and sounded excellent with flea watt SET amps. Recently I swapped the Fostexs in one pair for Mark Audio drivers which are less efficient so they required my more powerful class d amp ( Volt+D ). My favorites are the Mark Audio and CHB. Of those two it's a draw depending upon which amp I use. Without removing a copper colored Mark Audio driver from it's enclosure I can't say which model it is.

I wonder how the Pearl Acoustics Siblelius with MA drivers which cost thousands compares to Frugal Horns?
I'm hoping to start them next week and can't wait to hear them. Its a big change for me from the tqwts I usually build.

So going by your reply the Pluvia 70HD would be the best bet Vitorio.
Yes. Pluvia 7HD (gold/chrome aluminium cone) to me is clearly better than Pluvia 7PHD (paper cone)
And Alpair 7MS (monosuspension, no spider) is a bit better than Pluvia7HD. If you can afford extra $, go for it. Top class fulrangers.

Pluvia 7HD and Alpair 7MS needs same cutout and screw holes. Both are very good looking drivers. You`ll very happy with any of them ;)

Reactions: 1 users