K.I.S.S - CHR70 Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This would have to be in the running for one of the easiest projects ever!!

Parts List: All prices in AUD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 x CHR70v2 (Pair) = $128.00
1 x Dayton DTA-2 Class T Digital Amp = $39.00
1 x 12v x 2amp Regulated Plug Pack = $21.00
1 x Postage = $12.00

2 x 1m x 90mm plumbers pipe = $11.00
2 x 90mm T-pieces = $4.30
2 x 90mm 90 degree bends = $2.98
2 x 90mm end caps = $2.40
2 x 100mm to 150mm Toilet thingies = $24.00

1 x 50cm x 1.2m x 12mm ply = $14.00
1 x Clip lock plastic Container = $3.00
1 x 20 Liter bag of Insulation = $8.00

2 x House Brick = FREE

Grand Total Cost = $269.68
Grand Total Time = 4 hours :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant recommend these enough for first time speaker builders looking to get big rewards with very little skill or effort actually required. And if you already have an amp you'll save 50 odd bucks.

The list of modifications are also endless in terms of tuning the transmission line or even making them look purdy :worship: for the loved ones (mine are hiding in the bedroom as desk side units forever!)

The Sound.... Just get some and do it. They wont replace a big rig but they will surprise your pants off with what they do do.

Enough bass, awesome mids and great highs but most importantly, smooth and clean, you can listen all day.

I'll leave it at that for the moment but I do encourage any feedback or advice as a record for future builders and my own upgrades.

I will also add more build tips shortly.

Have fun
Dean

Attachments

• DSC01415.jpg
    DSC01415.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 687
  • DSC01417.jpg
    DSC01417.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC01419.jpg
    DSC01419.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC01420.jpg
    DSC01420.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 635
Haven't enabled any drivers before so i might have to spring for the kit.. How do I contact ed?

15cm?!? Didn't MJK recommend 1.3 x SD?? I'll double check that.... Whats your reasoning for the larger pipe Dave? Vas or?
Will the size increase mean better bass?

Are your photos of the Alpair 5's or CHR's?

Dean

One of the biggest surprises from this adventure is the Dayton DTA-2 Class T Digital Amp.

It sounds allot better and produces more volume with the right speakers than it has any right to.. I think i'll have to explore this class T malarkey a little further. Can anybody recommend the next step on the T path?

Dean

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Haven't enabled any drivers before so i might have to spring for the kit.. How do I contact ed?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/119852-enabl-kit.html?perpage=10&pagenumber=1

15cm?!? Didn't MJK recommend 1.3 x SD?? I'll double check that.... Whats your reasoning for the larger pipe Dave? Vas or?
Will the size increase mean better bass?

Sd actually has nothing to do with getting the pipe size right, it is Vas. Even so, MJK recommendeds that 3x Sd is a good starting point.

Are your photos of the Alpair 5's or CHR's?

Alpair 5

dave

Just thought I would show a little update on my CHR-70 TL Pipe.

No real design here other than following a few simple TL rules.

Paint job or some sort of covering due in the near future.

I have still also added a Fontek ribbon to the top of each pipe shooting straight up and crossed over at 10k with an L-PAD.

Attachments

• CHR-70 TL.jpg
    CHR-70 TL.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 106
  • TL Pipe - Driver mount.jpg
    TL Pipe - Driver mount.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 104
  • TL Pipe - Inside driver mount.jpg
    TL Pipe - Inside driver mount.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 92
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.