voigt pipe new design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I've got a pair of these excellent drivers: 215 SIGNATURE Bicône SUPRAVOX

I'd like to use it in voigt pipes but I'd like to make a shape to avoid ringing (no right angle) and use of dampening material (as less as possible...)
I would like too much more space behind the drivers than usual Voigt pipes.

I'd like to make an elliptical shape and I'd like to know if it's a problem if I keep a constant section (no spike end) because It would be more easier to construct. The major change will be the increase of the volume, but is it a real problem? In the end it woul make a kind of infinite baffle with a port.
Is there some utility in the spike shape? I just see some ringing design in it...

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

All enclosed spaces 'ring', so the greater its aspect ratio, the higher in amplitude it 'rings'. Its shape then sets its harmonic structure with an expanding shape (horn) decaying away faster with increasing flare frequency.

A horn terminating at a point is considered to have a ~infinite HF BW, so as its area is increased by cutting it off, the lower in frequency this 'throat' (St) cuts off. In theory then, finding St will be a complex calculation, but if terminated at a point it can be arrived at experimentally by trying different stuffing densities, 'killing to birds with one stone' since you are also optimizing St damping.

WRT increasing net box volume (Vb), once the optimum is exceeded for a given alignment, then stuffing density must increase with increasing Vb to control driver/box 'ringing'. 'Optimum' usually means an even more rolled off bass than IB, so good pipe horn alignments are quite large for the driver specs and require considerable damping to get good (mid) bass performance and a relatively smooth measured response.

GM

zycomatique

Hello,
i made exellent experience with soft fibre board,
very cheap, most 12-13 mm with a paper layer,
if you use it tripel for inside walls you reduce enclosure
sound very well.

look my horn construction plans on my HP.

Attachments

• Material text.jpg
    Material text.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 398
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.